Air Force

October 18, 2013

Public engagement once again affected

Tags:
Staff Sgt. Carlin Leslie
Air Force Public Affairs Agency — Operation Location Pentagon

The Thunderbirds on the Nellis Air Force, Nev., flightline April 23. Air Force community and public outreach was significantly impacted earlier this year as sequestration went into effect, and is now all but non-existent due to the partial government shutdown, with more than 800 events being canceled or withdrawn this year.

WASHINGTON — Air Force community and public outreach was significantly impacted earlier this year as sequestration went into effect, and is now all but non-existent due to the partial government shutdown, with more than 800 events being canceled or withdrawn this year.

As a result of sequestration and the government shutdown, roughly 45 million people did not get the chance to see the U.S. Air Force in action.

During the current lapse in appropriations, measures were taken to correctly follow the dictates of the law and policy on how the Air Force will continue business in the community and public outreach departments.

“The lapse in appropriations has forced the Air Force and all of the Department of Defense, to once again stop all community outreach, even local no-cost efforts,” said Wendy Varhegyi, Air Force Engagement division chief.

Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has issued The Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, which outlines missions and functions that may continue and/or must cease during the lapse in appropriations. The Department can legally only support those functions that directly support of ongoing military (wartime) operations or that are directly related to the safety of life and protection of property.

Unfortunately, most community activities do not fit within the narrow list of operations that the Air Force can continue to support during the lapse in appropriations.

Effective Oct 1, the following outreach programs will not be supported, until a budget or a continuing resolution has been passed and signed by the president.

  • All public flyovers (funeral flyovers will continue as authorized under fiscal year 2013 sequestration guidance)
  • All demonstration team performances. (Thunderbirds, Wings of Blue, etc.)
  • All public honor guard and drill team performances.
  • All public band concerts.
  • Any speeches, tours or other community events that are not directly related to an excepted operation.
  • Any units (band, aviation, honor guard, etc.) currently at a temporary duty assignment are directed to return to home station in rapid, but safe orderly fashion.

Though operations in outreach have currently ceased, departments await appropriations so things can get back to normal.

“We are anxious to see an appropriation, so that we can once again engage with the American public in a fiscally responsible manner,” Varhegyi said. “Public engagement is crucial to maintaining essential public trust and confidence in our institution.”

For more information regarding what operations are excepted as part of the Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, visit
http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2013/0913_govtshutdown/Contingency-Plan-Guidance-Attachment.pdf




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Jason Couillard

Top AF leaders speak at Nellis AFB

U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Jason Couillard Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force James A. Cody speaks to Airmen April 7 during a town-hall style meeting at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. Cody, along with Air Force Chief of...
 
 
U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Christopher Tam

99th SFS wins 2013 AF Large Security Forces Unit Award

U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Christopher Tam Staff Sgt. Jordan Young, right, 99th Security Forces Squadron training instructor administers pepper spray to Staff Sgt. Anthony Dykhuis, 99th SFS unit training manager, Apr...
 
 

AF updates officer, enlisted voluntary force management eligibility lists

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas — Select Airmen in specific categories who were not formerly eligible for fiscal year 2014 force management voluntary separation are now being offered voluntary separation. These individuals will not be subject to involuntary programs in fiscal year 2014. Officers from 33 Air Force specialty codes by year group and enlisted...
 

 

Civilian personnel manage careers with myPers

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas — myPers, the Air Force official online source for personnel policy, information and day-to-day transactions, empowers civilian employees to manage their careers. “This resource can save employees an infinite amount of time by providing direct online access to answers and valuable information about many of the everyday personnel concerns and the...
 
 
U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Thomas Spangler

99th CES firefighters train to make difference

U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Thomas Spangler Carl Lambert, 99th Civil Engineering Squadron fire captain, prepares for live fire suppression training at the aircraft burn trainer March 27 at Nellis Air Force Base, Ne...
 
 

Physical training uniform shortages through summer

WASHINGTON — Airmen trying to keep chilly temperatures from affecting their workout may have a difficult time finding the Air Force improved physical training uniform, or IPTU, pants and jackets this spring and summer. The new issued IPTU is made with a softer fabric and will replace the legacy physical training uniform, which was made...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin