Air Force

October 18, 2013

Public engagement once again affected

Tags:
Staff Sgt. Carlin Leslie
Air Force Public Affairs Agency — Operation Location Pentagon

The Thunderbirds on the Nellis Air Force, Nev., flightline April 23. Air Force community and public outreach was significantly impacted earlier this year as sequestration went into effect, and is now all but non-existent due to the partial government shutdown, with more than 800 events being canceled or withdrawn this year.

WASHINGTON — Air Force community and public outreach was significantly impacted earlier this year as sequestration went into effect, and is now all but non-existent due to the partial government shutdown, with more than 800 events being canceled or withdrawn this year.

As a result of sequestration and the government shutdown, roughly 45 million people did not get the chance to see the U.S. Air Force in action.

During the current lapse in appropriations, measures were taken to correctly follow the dictates of the law and policy on how the Air Force will continue business in the community and public outreach departments.

“The lapse in appropriations has forced the Air Force and all of the Department of Defense, to once again stop all community outreach, even local no-cost efforts,” said Wendy Varhegyi, Air Force Engagement division chief.

Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has issued The Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, which outlines missions and functions that may continue and/or must cease during the lapse in appropriations. The Department can legally only support those functions that directly support of ongoing military (wartime) operations or that are directly related to the safety of life and protection of property.

Unfortunately, most community activities do not fit within the narrow list of operations that the Air Force can continue to support during the lapse in appropriations.

Effective Oct 1, the following outreach programs will not be supported, until a budget or a continuing resolution has been passed and signed by the president.

  • All public flyovers (funeral flyovers will continue as authorized under fiscal year 2013 sequestration guidance)
  • All demonstration team performances. (Thunderbirds, Wings of Blue, etc.)
  • All public honor guard and drill team performances.
  • All public band concerts.
  • Any speeches, tours or other community events that are not directly related to an excepted operation.
  • Any units (band, aviation, honor guard, etc.) currently at a temporary duty assignment are directed to return to home station in rapid, but safe orderly fashion.

Though operations in outreach have currently ceased, departments await appropriations so things can get back to normal.

“We are anxious to see an appropriation, so that we can once again engage with the American public in a fiscally responsible manner,” Varhegyi said. “Public engagement is crucial to maintaining essential public trust and confidence in our institution.”

For more information regarding what operations are excepted as part of the Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, visit
http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2013/0913_govtshutdown/Contingency-Plan-Guidance-Attachment.pdf




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Mikaley Towle

LRS fuels Nellis’ mission success

U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Mikaley Towle Staff Sgt. Mike Radcliff, U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron crew chief, and Airman 1st Class Patrick Fields, 99th Logistics Readiness Squadron fuels mobile distribu...
 
 
U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Adarius Petty

Creech heats up

U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Adarius Petty The Nellis-Creech Fire Emergency Services Flight’s Fire Station 6 personnel applaud the speaker during the Fire Station 6 ribbon cutting ceremony at Creech Air Force Base, N...
 
 

Aviation pioneer in Las Vegas

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — During World War II, aviation opportunities literally exploded as the military trained hundreds of thousands of individuals to fly, opening the door to many who might never have had the chance before. Among this group were women pilots, many of whom trained and flew as civil service pilots with...
 

 

Rosie the Riveter and me

WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo. — As we recognize Women’s History Month this March, I am struck by the thought that heroes and role models do not have to be one single person but, in fact, can be several people. For me, this truth is especially relevant. During World War II, many women opted to...
 
 
DT1-(10)

Ground broken for new solar array at Nellis Air Force Base

U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Thomas Spangler Col. Richard Boutwell, 99th Air Base Wing commander, speaks at a ground breaking ceremony for a new solar array at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., March 24. The new array will ...
 
 
Photo courtesy of retired Master Sgt. Phillip Sisneros

Darkest before dawn: Retired master sergeant, active duty wife share struggle of overcoming TBI

Photo courtesy of retired Master Sgt. Phillip Sisneros Then Master Sgt. Phillip Sisneros, 99th Communications Squadron comm focal point chief, lays in a coma following a motorcycle accident in Las Vegas on Aug. 13, 2011. Sisner...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin