Air Force

June 20, 2014

Some AFSCs removed from eligibility for retention boards

Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs

WASHINGTON — Fewer Airmen than originally expected will meet involuntary retention boards this summer and fall, Air Force officials said June 13.

Air Force leaders eliminated approximately 4,000 Airmen from eligibility for the upcoming boards at Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James’s direction to bolster manning for nuclear-related air force specialty codes and to account for budgetary uncertainty regarding proposed force structure changes.

“Establishing full manning in our nuclear positions underscores the vital importance of this mission,” James said. “It also offers these critical Airmen a more stable work schedule and improves their quality of life. Budgetary uncertainty regarding proposed force structure actions is also driving us to retain more Airmen in some career fields. Adjusting our force management programs reduces risk at this point.”

Commanders will be provided updated eligibility rosters for their units reflecting these changes; however, given the short timelines associated with these updates, Airmen should check their respective AFSC, grade or year group on the updated matrices posted on myPers today, to ensure they know their latest status.

The enlisted retention boards and officer enhanced selective early retirement board for Airmen who are still eligible will occur in June with results released in late July or early August.

“Based on our discussions with Air Force senior leaders, the secretary and I decided to retain 4,000 Airmen who were previously eligible for the involuntary retention boards this summer,” said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III. “This adjustment is necessary because we’re not sure whether we’ll be allowed to execute the difficult decisions we made to divest force structure next year and because of our recent decision to increase manning in the nuclear mission.

“We don’t want to cut a single Airman more than the number absolutely necessary to keep our force in balance. This adjustment is another action that keeps us aligned with that principle. Thanks again for who you are, what you do and what you stand for,” Welsh said.

Updates to information on force management and other personnel programs will continue to be available on myPers. Airmen can also use the force management graphic on the Air Force Portal, which will take them to updated matrices and force management program details.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Thomas Spangler

40 years of Red Flag ends on high note

U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Thomas Spangler A C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C., flies to the Nevada Test and Training Range during Red Flag 15-4, Aug. 25. With a...
 
 

Never underestimate your impact

INCIRLIK AIR BASE, Turkey — Every day I visit our great Airmen and every day I come across more than one that underestimates their impact to the mission. There’s the one-stripe maintainer, “just repaneling an aircraft,” for the next day’s flight, or the young personalist, “just issuing another identification card,” or the defender, “just guarding...
 
 

Challenge yourself: Never give up, never quit

FAIRCHILD AIR FORCE BASE, Wash. — I once read that newly created cells in our bodies do one of two things: they either begin to decay or they become more vital. These cells choose their path based on what we demand of them. If we are sedentary, our brains signal our cells to decay; but...
 

 

SECDEF visits Nellis

U.S. Air Force photo by Lawrence Crespo U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks with Airmen from Nellis and Creech Air Force Bases during an all-call at the Lightning Aircraft Maintenance Unit hangar on Nellis AFB, Nev., Aug. 26. Carter’s department is responsible for policy development, planning, resource management, fiscal, and program evaluations for the...
 
 

Air Force extends SAPR services to AF civilians

WASHINGTON — The Air Force released a policy memo today allowing Air Force civilian employees who are victims of sexual assault to file restricted and unrestricted reports with their installation’s sexual assault response coordinator. The policy is effective immediately and allows SARCs and sexual assault prevention and response victim advocates to assist Air Force civilians...
 
 

TRICARE pharmacy rules changing for maintenance, brand-name drugs

WASHINGTON — TRICARE beneficiaries who take certain brand-name medications on a regular basis will be required to fill prescriptions at a military treatment facility or through a mail-in program beginning Oct. 1, a Defense Health Agency official said here Aug. 20. George Jones, DHA’s pharmacy operations division chief, said the new policy does not apply...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>