A. Yes, but here are certain conditions that must be met.
TRICARE cost shares on any of the following open or laparoscopic surgical procedures:
1.Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
2.Vertical banded gastroplasty.
3.Gastroplasty, stomach stapling.
4.Adjustable gastric banding, only when all of the following conditions are met:
• You’re at least 18 years old or you provide documentation of completion of bone growth.
• You were unsuccessful with non-surgical medical treatments for obesity. Your medical records must show your failed attempts.
• Diet programs, such as Weight Watchers®* and Jenny Craig®*, are acceptable methods of dietary management, as long as there’s medical documentation of participation and monthly clinical visits with your doctor.
*These programs aren?t covered by TRICARE.
• Physician-supervised programs made-up of only weight-loss medication management, don’t meet this requirement.
• You have proof of one of the following:
A body mass index greater than or equal to 40 kilograms per meter squared
A body-mass index of 35-39.9 kg/m2 with one clinically significant comorbidity, including but not limited to, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, obstructive sleep apnea, Pickwickian syndrome, hypertension, coronary artery disease, obesity-related cardiomyopathy, or pulmonary hypertension.
Send your questions to email@example.com
Note: Need Medical Help?
Call Nurse Advice Line
1-800-TRICARE or 1-800-874-2273, Option 1