Every summer, people across the country get out their grills to barbecue food. Along with this fun tradition comes many potential fire and other safety hazards. According to the National Fire Protection Association, gas grills constitute a higher fire risk and between 2007 and 2011, they were involved in an annual average of 7,200 home fires. In December 2012, ESPN SportsCenter anchor Hannah Storm was badly burned while grilling. The NFPA website stated Storm suffered first and second-degree burns on her face, neck, chest and hands when she attempted to re-ignite a flame after the wind had blown it out and caused propane gas to pool and become an explosion hazard. The NFPA suggests these safety tips: propane gas and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors. The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches. Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
Never leave your grill unattended.