Veterans

February 7, 2012

IG testifies to Congress: Arlington Cemetery making progress

by David Vergun
Army News Service
Pfc. Brent Benbow of the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), kneels to photograph the front and rear of a tombstone in Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Dec. 15, 2011. Benbow was part of a task force that documented every tombstone, grave marker and cremation site in the cemetery for an electronic database.
Pfc. Brent Benbow of the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), kneels to photograph the front and rear of a tombstone in Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Dec. 15, 2011. Benbow was part of a task force that documented every tombstone, grave marker and cremation site in the cemetery for an electronic database.

Within the last two years, Arlington National Cemetery has seen much progress in correcting gravesite deficiencies, increasing customer service, and instituting effective computer record keeping, said the Army’s inspector general.

Lt. Gen. Peter Vangjel testified Feb. 3 at a joint hearing of the House Armed Services subcommittee on Military Personnel and the Oversight and Investigations subcommittee about accountability at Arlington National Cemetery.

“The IG reported 61 deficiencies in 2010, among them, a deplorable organizational climate, archaic record keeping and automation systems, uncontrolled contracting and budgeting processes and gravesite accountability. In contrast one year later, there were no deficiencies reported,” he said, adding that significant progress continues to be made, and “Arlington is beginning to transition from successful crisis management to sustained excellence.

“There’s still much work left to do,” he said, including complete documentation and validation of internal oversight processes and controls, continuation of gravesite accountability and enduring external oversight processes to prevent past shortcomings.

Also testifying at the hearing were Executive Director of the Army National Cemeteries Program Kathryn A. Condon; Acquisition and Sourcing Management Director Belva Martin of the Government Accountability Office; and Defense Capabilities and Management Director Brian Lepore, GAO.

Condon, Martin and Lepore agreed with Vangjel’s assessment of progress in addressing deficiencies, while acknowledging areas that still need improvement.

Condon noted that although 212,674 gravesites had been accounted for, 18 percent were still in the process of being verified. She said the procedure involved obtaining records going back to the Civil War and analyzing census data, military records and even using the website ancestory.com to match photos of deceased soldiers with at least two verifiable records.

Condon said the goal is to provide instant Internet access to pictures and gravesite information for family members, as well as gravesite accountability.

Other areas that Condon said will improve include the contracting process. She said a senior contracting professional is in the process of being hired to oversee the process and ensure effectiveness.

She said that $50 million spent in the past has been accounted for and recovered and that $12 million is currently being tracked and will be accounted for.

Martin explained that problems in contracting in the past two years included inaccurate documentation, unclear wording of deliverables resulting in services not rendered, procurement of information technologies that were not useful and a general lack of properly executed contracts.

Lepore was asked his opinion on whether or not Arlington National Cemetery should be transferred from control of the Army to the Department of Veterans Affairs. He advised a cost benefit analysis be conducted and cautioned that a premature change of jurisdiction could create more problems. He recommended several years of collaboration between the Army and the VA, so the best procedures and systems from each can be instituted and then determination be made.

Several congressmen expressed their deep concern with a lack of accountability for those who mismanaged the cemetery in the past.

In response to questions of personal accountability, Vangjel said he would keep subcommittee members informed on developments of any forthcoming punitive actions, but explained that determination of judicial proceedings are now in the hands of the Criminal Investigation Division and the Department of Justice.

“We owe it to the Soldiers and families and to future generations to restore the honor to our nation’s heroes at Arlington National Cemetery,” said Chairman Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., summarizing the feelings of hearing attendees.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

VA announces new grants to help end veterans homelessness

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert A. McDonald announced Aug. 11 the award of approximately $300 million in grants that will help approximately 115,000 homeless and at-risk veterans and their families. The grants will be distributed to 301 community agencies in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Under the...
 
 

VA funds SoCal agencies in battle to end homelessness

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert A. McDonald announced Aug. 11 the award of $23.1 million in homeless prevention grants to counties in Southern California. The grants will serve approximately 4,400 homeless and at-risk Veteran families as part of the Supportive Services for Veteran Families program. This award will serve Veteran families associated with 17 different...
 
 
DOD photograph by EJ Hersom

Obama signs act to give VA new money, authorities

DOD photograph by EJ Hersom President Barack Obama signs the Veterans’ Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act into law at Fort Belvoir, Va., Aug. 7, 2014. President Barack Obama today signed into ...
 

 

Remains of airmen missing since WWII accounted for

The remains of two missing airmen have been accounted for 70 years after they disappeared when their plane went down over Papua New Guinea during World War II, U.S. military officials said. The remains of 1st Lts. William Bernier and Bryant Poulsen were identified through DNA and other evidence collected from the crash site in...
 
 

Remains of U.S. soldier killed in ’53 identified

Lawrence Jock’s surviving relatives in northern New York knew next to nothing about the Army combat veteran who was declared missing in action at the end of the Korean War more than 60 years ago. Now that his remains have been identified and will be brought back to the North Country for burial, his relatives...
 
 
Army photograph by Lisa Ferdinando

President awards Medal of Honor to former Army staff sergeant

Army photograph by Lisa Ferdinando President Barack Obama awards the Medal of Honor to former Army Staff Sgt. Ryan Pitts at the White House, July 21, 2014. Pitts received the nation’s highest military honor for his action...
 




One Comment


  1. Shelly Quinn

    It’s nice to see that someone is doing something about this and not forgetting our fallen soldiers.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>