World

May 23, 2012

France sets conditions for Afghan aid post-NATO

by Jamey Keaten
Associated Press

French President Francois Hollande said May 21 that France won’t necessarily contribute money for Afghanistan’s military, again marking a break with key NATO partners as the alliance moves to hand over security control in the country starting in 2015.

In a final news conference at a summit of the Atlantic alliance, the new French leader confirmed that the United States had asked France for “a little less” than $200 million for Afghanistan.

Hollande – who took office last week – has been cautious about state spending amid France’s high state debts. He also set conditions for any French aid for the Afghan military, saying Paris would need assurances that such use of such money would be closely monitored.

The announcement was the latest sign of Hollande’s reluctance about doing more for Afghanistan during his term. He rankled some allies in NATO over his plan to bring home French combat troops by year-end – two years ahead of the alliance’s timetable.

Germany has committed to providing $190 million per year, and Britain has pledged $110 million.

“As for after 2014, we have been asked – like all the partners – for a contribution. We haven’t responded, simply saying that on principle we’re going to look at it,” Hollande said. “We haven’t set an amount. We are not bound by what Germany or other countries might do. And we have one condition, which is to know how these eventual contributions would be monitored.”

Hollande has said that French military logistics teams and trainers for Afghan police and top military brass would remain in Afghanistan into next year, part of a previously agreed bilateral agreement with Afghanistan – but had not previously indicated a pullout date for them.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 25, 2014

News: U.S. sends second carrier to Asia amid tensions with China - The Navy is sending a second aircraft carrier strike group to the Asia Pacific region amid new tensions with China over a dangerous aerial encounter between a Chinese interceptor and a Navy P-8 surveillance aircraft. SpaceX rocket explodes during test flight - A SpaceX rocket...
 
 

News Briefs August 25, 2014

China says U.S. plane intercept was professional China’s Defense Ministry has rejected U.S. accusations that a Chinese fighter jet conducted a dangerous intercept of a U.S. Navy surveillance aircraft off the coast of China in international airspace. The ministry issued a statement Aug. 23 attributed to spokesman Yang Yujun calling the U.S. accusations groundless. It...
 
 

Ukraine plans $3 billion boost to defense spending

KIEV, Ukraine – Ukraine’s president announced plans Aug. 24 to boost his country’s defense spending by an estimated 50 percent as government forces seek to overpower pro-Russian separatists in the east. President Petro Poroshenko pledged to spend an extra 40 billion hryvnia ($3 billion) by 2017 during a speech marking Ukraine’s independence from the Soviet...
 

 

NASA awards research facilities, engineering support services contract

NASA has awarded a contract for research facilities and engineering support services to InuTeq, LLC of Greenbelt, Maryland, in support of the Mission Information and Test Systems Directorate at NASA’s Armstrong Flight Research Center, Edwards, Calif. This cost-plus-award-fee contract covers a one-year base period beginning Nov. 1, 2014 and four one-year options, and is valued...
 
 

Navy Awards General Dynamics contract for LCS planning yard services

The U.S. Navy awarded General Dynamics Bath Iron Works a $100 million contract to provide planning yard services for the Littoral Combat Ship program. General Dynamics Bath Iron Works is a business unit of General Dynamics. Bath Iron Works, as the LCS Planning Yard, will provide maintenance and modernization support for all Navy LCS 1...
 
 
boeing-boc

Boeing, BOC Aviation announce order for 82 airplanes

  Boeing announced Aug. 25 an order by BOC Aviation for 50 737 MAX 8s, 30 Next-Generation 737-800s and two 777-300ERs (Extended Range). The order, valued at $8.8 billion at list prices, is the largest in BOC Aviation’...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>