World

June 14, 2012

News Briefs June 14, 2012

U.S., South Korea, Japan to conduct naval exercise

The United States, South Korea and Japan will conduct a two-day, trilateral naval exercise June 21-22 in the waters south of the Korean Peninsula, the Pentagon announced in a news release issued June 13.

The exercise will focus on improving interoperability and communications with the South Korean navy and the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force, which can facilitate cooperative disaster relief and maritime security activities in the future, according to the release.

The three navies will conduct this exercise beyond the territorial waters of any coastal nation, the release said.

The United States will then conduct a routine carrier operation with the South Korean navy in the Yellow Sea immediately after the trilateral exercise June 23-25, according to the release.

The George Washington Carrier Strike Group will make a port call in Busan, South Korea, after completing the two exercises, the release stated.

 

NATO hopes to reopen Pakistan supply routes soon

NATO’s chief hopes to soon reopen military supply routes through Pakistan despite new transport agreements with other Afghanistan neighbors providing alternatives.

NATO this week struck agreements with Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan allowing the military to evacuate hardware from Afghanistan and bypass Pakistan. Pakistan closed its southern supply routes six months ago after U.S. airstrikes accidentally killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.

The U.S. recently said a negotiating team was returning home without a deal to reopen the routes. But NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told reporters in Australia June 13 that he hopes Pakistan routes will reopen “in the not too distant future.”

He says Central Asian alternatives could prove more costly. AP

 

Sierra Nevada sues over $345 million Air Force contract

A dispute over a $354 million U.S. Air Force contract to build a light air support plane for use in Afghanistan has returned to court.

Sierra Nevada Corp. sued June 12 in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims seeking reinstatement of the contract.

The Air Force rescinded the contract and opened an investigation earlier this year after Hawker Beechcraft Corp. said it was wrongly excluded from the bidding process.

Sparks, Nev.,-based Sierra Nevada Corp. says cancellation of the contract is an extreme response to Air Force paperwork errors and that the revised bid proposal is tilted in favor of the competition.

Wichita, Kan.-based Hawker Beechcraft declined to comment on the filing.

At stake is a contract that ultimately could be worth nearly $1 billion, depending on future orders. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines October 29, 2014

News: Unmanned rocket explodes just six seconds after taking off - A NASA rocket due to be visible across the East Coast on its way to the International Space Station has blown up on the Launchpad. IG: Former chief of wounded warrior office broke law, DOD regs - The Defense Department inspector general has recommended “corrective action”...
 
 

News Briefs October 29, 2014

F-35C makes first landing at Virginia Beach Navy base The Navy says an operational F-35C joint strike fighter has landed at Naval Air Station Oceana for the first time. Naval Air Station Oceana is the Navy’s master jet base on the East Coast. The Navy says the plane came to the Virginia Beach base Oct....
 
 

Time to turn to American technology for space launch

For the first time since the Cold War, the United States has deployed armored reinforcements to Europe. To counter Russia’s aggression, several hundred troops and 20 tanks are now in the Baltic. Yet the U.S. military is still injecting millions into the Russian military industrial complex. In late August, the United Launch Alliance – the...
 

 
Air Force photograph by Joe Davila

Boeing, Air Force demonstrate Minuteman III readiness in flight test

Air Force photograph by Joe Davila Boeing supported the launch of an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., on Sept. 23, 2014. Boeing supported the U.S. Air Force’s succ...
 
 

Pentagon going to court for refusing to release Sikorsky data

PETALUMA, Calif. – The Pentagon is refusing to release any data on any prime contractors participating in the 25-year-old Comprehensive Subcontracting Plan Test Program. The American Small Business League launched a program in 2010 to expose the fraud and abuse against small businesses the CSPTP had allowed. As a test the ASBL requested the most...
 
 
Northrop Grumman photograph

Raytheon Griffin C flight tests demonstrate in-flight retargeting capability

Northrop Grumman photograph Northrop Grumman has received a contract from the U.S. Marine Corps for low-rate initial production of the AN/TPS-80 Ground/Air Task Oriented Radar (G/ATOR). G/ATOR is the first ground-based multi-mi...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>