In the news...

June 27, 2012

News Briefs – June 27, 2012

U.S. military deaths in Afghanistan at 1,892

As of June 26, 2012, at least 1,892 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count.

At least 1,577 military service members have died in Afghanistan as a result of hostile action, according to the military’s numbers.

Outside of Afghanistan, the department reports at least 114 more members of the U.S. military died in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Of those, 12 were the result of hostile action.

The AP count of total OEF casualties outside of Afghanistan is one more than the department’s tally.

The Defense Department also counts three military civilian deaths.

Since the start of U.S. military operations in Afghanistan, 16,584 U.S. service members have been wounded in hostile action, according to the Defense Department. AP

 

Striking Lockheed Martin machinists vote June 28

Striking Lockheed Martin machinists will vote June 28 on a new labor deal.

Members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers in Fort Worth went on strike April 23. Union members earlier rejected an offer that would have raised health care costs and eliminated pensions for new hires.

Leaders of Machinists Local 776, which represents about 3,600 striking workers, announced a tentative deal June 23 after four days of talks.

The four-year agreement, outlined June 25, says workers would get $2,000, plus annual pay increases starting at 3 percent the first year. Current basic health care plans would not change.

Workers hired after July 2, the deadline for ratification, would not get traditional pensions but instead would have a retirement savings plan and contributions from Lockheed Martin. AP

 

Turkey threatens Syria with retaliation

Turkey, responding to the downing of one of its jets by Syrian forces, says its military will respond to any future violation of its border by Syrian military elements.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said June 26 that Turkish Armed Forces “will respond to all violations on the Syrian border.”

He said Syrian helicopters have violated Turkish airspace five times recently, without Turkish response.

Syria insists that the Turkish plane violated its air space. But Turkey disagrees, saying that though the plane had unintentionally strayed into Syria’s air space, it was inside international airspace when it was brought down June 22. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines May 27, 2015

News: U.S. Air Force certifies SpaceX for military launches - SpaceX has been certified for military space launch, the U.S. Air Force announced May 26. The long-awaited announcement is a game changer, with SpaceX becoming only the second provider cleared by the service to launch national security payloads into orbit.   Business: Northrop Grumman CEO issues...
 
 

Headlines May 22, 2015

News: Second Marine killed in Hawaii Osprey crash identified - Marine Corps officials have identified the second Marine to die as a result of the May 17 MV-22B Osprey crash as Lance Cpl. Matthew J. Determan of Maricopa, Ariz.   Business: Israel defense exports plunge to seven-year low - Israeli defense sales last year plunged to their...
 
 

News Briefs May 22, 2015

Ukrainian officer hit with third charge in Russia A third charge has been filed against a Ukrainian military officer who has been behind bars in Moscow for nearly a year over the deaths of two Russian journalists in Ukraine. Nadezhda Savchenko, who worked as a spotter for Ukrainian troops fighting separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine,...
 

 

Headlines May 20, 2015

News: Top secret X-37B space plane blasts off on fourth mission - One of the most mysterious craft ever to go into orbit blasted off on a top secret mission this morning.   Business: R&D budget request rises for U.S. Special Operations - The leadership of U.S. Special Operations Command said the force and its acquisitions –...
 
 

News Briefs May 20, 2015

North Korea ‘many years’ from developing submarine missile A top U.S. military officer says North Korea is many years away from being able to launch ballistic missiles from a submarine. But vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. James Winnefeld, said May 19 such missiles could eventually present a hard-to-detect danger to...
 
 

House panel approves $578.6 billion for defense spending

The House panel that decides defense spending approved a $578.6 billion blueprint May 19 that fully funds a 2.3 percent pay raise for military men and women, prevents the retirement of the A-10 aircraft that protects ground troops and funds the U.S. fight against terrorism. The spending bill, which mirrors the broad defense policy bill...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>