World

July 5, 2012

Two RAF Tornado jets crash, searching for pilots

by Cassandra Vinograd
Associated Press

Two RAF Tornado jets crashed July 3 in Scotland and the British military was searching for the wreckage, officials said.

One Royal Air Force crewmember has died and two others are believed dead, British officials said July 4.

The Ministry of Defense said Wednesday that one officer from 15 (Reserve) Squadron, based at RAF Lossiemouth, had died and another is in serious but stable condition in a hospital.

The two GR4 Tornado jets were in the Mornay Firth area in eastern Scotland when contact with them was lost, the Ministry of Defense said.

“Two aircraft are missing and the search and rescue operation is ongoing,” a spokesman for the Ministry of Defense said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of standing ministry rules and gave no further details.

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution’s station at Buckie, Scotland, reported that a helicopter had picked up two people from the sea but their conditions were not known, according to Richard Smith, the organization’s public relations manager for Scotland. He said they had been transferred to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness.

About 15 lifeboat volunteers joined the rescue operation in three boats after reports that two jets came down about 25 miles south of Wick.

Britain’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency said it had sent a helicopter from the island of Stornoway, off the coast of Scotland, in response to a request for assistance from the Royal Air Force.

The Royal Air Force operates Tornado GR4’s from two bases – RAF Lossiemouth, in Scotland and RAF Marham. The Tornados are two-seaters and described as “all weather attack aircraft” capable of low-level supersonic flight.

The aircraft most recently saw action with the RAF over Libya. They are not part of the Ministry of Defense’s multi-tiered defense plan for the upcoming London Olympics, which will depend on Typhoon jets to be used in London airspace. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 28, 2015

Business: Rafale, Mistral on agenda for Le Drian in Malaysia, India¬†– French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is due to visit Malaysia Aug. 30, with talks expected to cover the Rafale fighter jet and Mistral helicopter carrier, website La Tribune reported. U.S. Army to choose new landing craft next year¬†– In line with the Pentagon’s...
 
 

News Briefs August 28, 2015

Boeing plans to lay off some Southern California workers Boeing has announced that it plans to lay off employees at its Southern California-based satellite division. The Los Angeles Times reports that the aerospace giant said Aug. 25 that it will lay off as many as several hundred employees at the El Segundo factory. Boeing says...
 
 

Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident

Two special tactics airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26. Capt. Matthew D. Roland, 27, and SSgt. Forrest B. Sibley, 31, were at a vehicle checkpoint when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces uniforms opened fire on them. NATO service members...
 

 

Hurricane Hunters to fly Tropical Storm Erika

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters are operating out of Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., flying their state-of-the-art WC-130J Super Hercules into Tropical Storm Erika in support of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew four missions into the tropical storm from their deployed location at St. Croix in the...
 
 
LM-MUOS

U.S. Navy, Lockheed Martin ready to launch MUOS-4 Aug. 31

The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin are ready to launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System secure communications satellite, MUOS-4, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Aug. 31 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V...
 
 

Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence

The Pentagon’s inspector general is investigating an allegation that the military command overseeing the anti-Islamic State campaign distorted or altered intelligence assessments to exaggerate progress against the militant group, a defense official said Aug. 26. The official was not authorized to discuss the probe publicly and so spoke on condition of anonymity. The investigation was...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>