Defense

July 11, 2012

DOD working to halt budget sequestration, Little says

by Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

The Defense Department is working to avoid the possibility of budget sequestration, a maneuver which would trigger massive, across the board cuts in defense spending, something Pentagon Press Secretary George Little described July 10 as an “absurd” situation.

“We have daily discussions with the Office of Management and Budget on a range of budget issues, to include the prospect of sequestration,” Little said. “We have not begun planning for sequestration, but we are in regular contact with our OMB colleagues about what needs to happen.

Sequestration is a mechanism built into last year’s Budget Control Act that would trigger across the board cuts in federal spending – including an additional half-trillion-dollar cut in defense – if Congress and the White House cannot agree on a plan to reduce the federal deficit.

“The goal here, of course, is to avoid sequestration, period. That’s what we want and we believe that’s what the American people want,” Little told reporters.

Sequestration would more than double the $487 billion in cuts the department is already making over the next 10 years.

The automatic cuts would require the department to scrap the defense strategy unveiled in January, Pentagon Spokesman Capt. John Kirby told reporters at the same press conference. Instead, Pentagon officials would “have to come up with something completely different. That something, whatever it is, would be based on, essentially, a force at risk of being hollowed,” he said.

“We need to move beyond sequestration,” Little said. “And we believe that members of Congress do want to get beyond it.”

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta continues to look throughout the department for savings, Little said, and stressed that everything is on the table. But Defense officials have continually said that any cuts have to fit in to the overall defense strategy.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines April 17, 2015

News: Army extends benefits to Hood shooting victims¬†- The Army will provide “all possible benefits” to victims of the 2009 Fort Hood shooting who recently were awarded the Purple Heart, the service announced April 16.   Business: Rolls-Royce lands biggest deal in its 109-year history¬†- U.K. engineering company Rolls-Royce has won the largest order in...
 
 

News Briefs April 17, 2015

Army orders financial benefits for 2009 Fort Hood victims Dozens of soldiers and surviving family members of the 2009 Fort Hood, Texas, shooting are receiving additional Army pay that they felt was long overdue. The announcement from Army Sec. John McHugh April 16 comes a week after 36 Purple Hearts were awarded to victims and...
 
 
NASA illustration

NASA awards radiation challenge winners, launches next round

NASA illustration This illustration depicts our heliosphere, showing the approximate locations of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 spacecraft. Galactic cosmic rays originate outside the heliosphere and stream in uniformly from all direc...
 

 

U.S. Air Force completes operational testing on Raytheon’s MALD-J

Raytheon and the U.S. Air Force successfully completed operational tests of Miniature Air Launched Decoy-Jammer, satisfying all requirements to attain Initial Operational Capability. “MALD-J’s unique capabilities have been proven in 42 successful flight tests during the last two years and brought us closer to full rate production,” said Mike Jarrett, vice president of Raytheon...
 
 

Northrop Grumman to expand North Dakota presence

In partnership with local leadership, Northrop Grumman confirmed its dedication to the future of unmanned systems development in the Red River Valley region by signing a lease agreement to anchor the new Grand Sky Technology Park in Grand Forks County. Northrop Grumman is working to identify specialized opportunities for the Grand Sky facility. The opportunities,...
 
 

Raytheon awarded more than $2 billion for an International Patriot system

Raytheon announced April 17 it has been awarded a contract worth over $2.0 billion to deliver the combat-proven Patriot Air and Missile Defense System to an undisclosed international customer. The contract, awarded April 2, 2015, and booked in the second quarter as a direct commercial sale, includes fully digitized new-production Patriot fire units with the...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>