Defense

July 18, 2012

Sequestration threatens fiscal 2013 funds, official says

by Amaani Lyle
American Forces Press Service

While current Defense Department contracts funded with fiscal year 2012 dollars remain unaffected by sequestration, the looming threat of the budget-cutting maneuver means funding for all DOD contracts in fiscal year 2013 is at risk of being cut, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters today.

Little responded to questions about the fate of DOD contracts once sequestration, set to occur in January, cuts an additional $500 billion in defense funding beyond DOD’s previously agreed upon $487 billion. The automatic budget cuts, part of legislation last year that raised the U.S debt ceiling, is set to slash spending across the federal government unless Congress intervenes.

“Sequestration cuts would not affect current contracts funded with fiscal 2012 dollars, that is, obligated funds,” Little said. “Anything put on contract between now and Sept. 30 – the end of the fiscal year – would also not be affected.”

But funding for all defense contracts put into place between Oct. 1 and Jan. 1, Little said, would be subject to sequestration as called for by the Budget Control Act.

“We are obviously assessing the potential impacts of sequestration; we are not planning for sequestration,” Little said. “But clearly we do need to take a look at contracts and take that into account should sequestration go into effect.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines January 30, 2015

News: Taliban claims responsibility for attack on Americans at military base near airport - The Taliban claimed responsibility Jan. 30 for a shooting incident at a military base attached to Kabul’s international airport yesterday that killed three American civilian contractors and an Afghan national, saying the attacker had infiltrated the ranks of the security forces. Commission...
 
 

News Briefs January 30, 2015

Military judge weighs restrictions on Gitmo female guards A military judge is deciding whether to continue restricting the use of female guards at Guantanamo. Navy Capt. J. Kirk Waits heard closing arguments Jan. 29 at the base in Cuba during a pretrial hearing for Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi. Waits didn’t say when he will rule. Hadi...
 
 
Air Force photograph by 1st Lt. Jake Bailey

Cope South experts exchange knowledge, techniques

Air Force photograph by 1st Lt. Jake Bailey TSgt. Sam Bishop, center left, and SSgt. Jeffrey Stephens discuss propeller maintenance with Bangladesh air force maintainers, from the 101st Special Flying Unit, during exercise Cope...
 

 

Air Force names 2-star to lead F-35 Integration Office

With the initial operating capability date of the F-35 Lightning II quickly approaching, the Air Force appointed Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Harrigian as the director of a larger Air Force F-35 Integration Office, Feb. 1. In addition to gaining new leadership, the F-35 Integration Office will also grow from a staff of four to 12 and...
 
 
boeing-ana2

Boeing announces ANA’s commitment to more jetliners

Airline continues fleet modernization with Boeing airplanes Boeing and All Nippon Airways announced Jan. 30 the airline’s intent to purchase three 787-10 Dreamliners to add additional flexibility to the airline’s 787 fleet....
 
 
Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash

Air Force risks becoming too small to succeed under sequestration

Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee Jan. 28, 2015, in Washington, D.C., as Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Joesph F. Dunf...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>