Defense

July 18, 2012

Sequestration threatens fiscal 2013 funds, official says

by Amaani Lyle
American Forces Press Service

While current Defense Department contracts funded with fiscal year 2012 dollars remain unaffected by sequestration, the looming threat of the budget-cutting maneuver means funding for all DOD contracts in fiscal year 2013 is at risk of being cut, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters today.

Little responded to questions about the fate of DOD contracts once sequestration, set to occur in January, cuts an additional $500 billion in defense funding beyond DOD’s previously agreed upon $487 billion. The automatic budget cuts, part of legislation last year that raised the U.S debt ceiling, is set to slash spending across the federal government unless Congress intervenes.

“Sequestration cuts would not affect current contracts funded with fiscal 2012 dollars, that is, obligated funds,” Little said. “Anything put on contract between now and Sept. 30 – the end of the fiscal year – would also not be affected.”

But funding for all defense contracts put into place between Oct. 1 and Jan. 1, Little said, would be subject to sequestration as called for by the Budget Control Act.

“We are obviously assessing the potential impacts of sequestration; we are not planning for sequestration,” Little said. “But clearly we do need to take a look at contracts and take that into account should sequestration go into effect.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

AMC relocates KC-135 simulator

As Air Mobility Command fields the KC-46A Pegasus, displaced KC-135 Stratotanker pilot simulators will be relocated across the Total Force to maximize simulator access across the mobility enterprise. As a result, AMC, in coordination with the Air National Guard, recently identified four KC-135 pilot flight simulators and one KC-135 Boom Operator Weapons System Trainer to...
 
 

Two C-17 squadrons to be inactivated over next two years

Air Mobility Command will inactivate two C-17 Globemaster III squadrons during the next two years – one at Joint Base Charleston, S.C., and one at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. – based on the President’s Defense Budget for fiscal year 2015. “In this fiscally constrained environment, we have to balance readiness, capability and capacity,” said Maj. Gen....
 
 

Hagel authorizes up to 1,300 additional troops to deploy to Iraq

Up to 1,300 more U.S. troops, including approximately 1,000 soldiers from the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division, will begin to deploy to Iraq in late January, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said Dec. 19. “Their mission will be to train, advise and assist Iraqi security forces,” Kirby told reporters at a Pentagon briefing....
 

 
Army photograph by C. Todd Lopez

Army to launch cruise missile-detecting aerostat at Aberdeen Proving Ground

Army photograph by C. Todd Lopez The Army plans to launch an aerostat, part of the “Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor,” in late December 2014. The JLENS aerostat will be tethered to the...
 
 
Air Force photograph by SrA. Jordan Castelan

AF delivers Iraqi F-16s for training in US

Air Force photograph by SrA. Jordan Castelan Iraqi air force captain Hama conducts preflight inspections while inside a new to service Iraqi F-16 Fighting Falcon Dec. 17, 2014, located at the nearby Tucson International Airport...
 
 
Air Force photograph by SSgt. Derek VanHorn

Short-notice: A new way to exercise

Air Force photograph by SSgt. Derek VanHorn Airmen from Kadena Air Base, Japan, prepare for an aeromedical evacuation exercise on a KC-135 Stratotanker Dec. 5, 2014, at Misawa Air Base, Japan. The operation was executed in supp...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>