World

July 19, 2012

NATO helicopter crashes in Afghanistan; two injured

by Deb Riechmann
Associated Press

A NATO helicopter crashed July 18 in western Afghanistan, injuring two troops serving with the U.S.-led military coalition, NATO said.

No other information was disclosed about the crash in the relatively peaceful west. The crash is under investigation.

Separately, NATO reported that a service member was killed July 17 during an insurgent attack in the south. Insurgents are trying to regain territory they’ve lost during the past two years when tens of thousands of coalition and Afghan forces routed them from their strongholds in the south.

The trooper’s nationality has not yet been released.

So far this year, 238 coalition service members have been killed in Afghanistan, including at least 172 Americans.

On Tuesday, the Afghan Defense Ministry said that an Afghan soldier has been sentenced to death for killing four French troops earlier this year in eastern Afghanistan _ one of the deadliest in a rising number of attacks in which Afghan forces have turned their guns on their foreign partners.

Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for the Afghan Defense Ministry, said a military court in the country’s capital on Monday ordered the soldier, Abdul Sabor, to be hanged. The soldier can appeal the sentence to higher courts, Azimi said. It was not clear when the soldier was convicted of the crime and Azimi did not have any other details about his case.

The four French soldiers were killed on Jan. 20 in Tagab district of Kapisa province. Just a month earlier, on Dec. 29, 2011, another Afghan soldier killed two members of the French Foreign Legion.

The French casualties prompted France’s new President Francois Hollande to withdraw combat forces from Afghanistan earlier than planned. The decision to put France on a fast-track exit timetable sparked consternation among some members of the U.S.-led military coalition, which is not ending its combat mission until the end of 2014.

France will pull 2,000 French combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of the year and leave around 1,400 soldiers behind to help with training and logistics.

The death of the French troops was one of the latest cases of the so-called “green-on-blue” attacks in which Afghan soldiers, or insurgents disguised in their uniforms, turn their weapons on coalition forces.

Such attacks have fueled distrust between U.S. and other foreign troops and their Afghan partners. Last year there were a total of 21 `green-on-blue’ attacks that killed 35 coalition service members, according to NATO figures. That compares with 11 fatal attacks and 20 deaths the previous year. In 2007 and 2008 there were a combined total of four attacks and four deaths.

Besides targeting foreign forces, insurgents in Afghanistan have stepped up attacks on political and government figures.

On Monday, insurgents twice ambushed the convoy of Nuristan provincial Gov. Tamim Nuristani, but he escaped unharmed both times, said provincial spokesman Mohammad Zareen.

The first ambush came as the convoy was traveling to Wama district where the governor was inaugurating a road. After a brief gunbattle, the insurgents pulled back. The convoy was later attacked again when the governor was en route to Parun district. One policeman was killed and two others were wounded in the fight that followed.

Also on Monday, a magnetic bomb attached to the vehicle of the chief of Khan Abad district of Kunar province exploded, killing one policeman and wounding eight civilians, said provincial spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hussaini. The district governor was not in the vehicle when the bomb detonated.

And on Saturday, a suicide bomber blew himself up among guests at a wedding hall in northern Afghanistan, killing 23 people, including a prominent ex-Uzbek warlord-turned-lawmaker who was the father of the bride. Three Afghan security force officials were among those killed. The day before, two government officials were assassinated – the Afghan Ministry of Women’s Affairs director in Laghman province and the mayor of Shindand district in Herat province.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines September 15, 2014

News: Navy identifies pilot presumed dead in crash - A Navy fighter pilot presumed dead after two fighter jets crashed in the far western Pacific Ocean has been identified.   Business: Boeing eyes 737-700 solution for new JSTARS - Boeing is officially planning a variant of its 737-700 commercial jetliner as a competitor for the Air Force’s...
 
 

News Briefs September 15, 2014

Australia contributing planes for anti-IS campaign Australia is preparing to contribute 600 troops and up to 10 military aircraft to the increasingly aggressive campaign against the Islamic State extremists in Syria and Iraq, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Sept. 14. Abbott said Australia was responding to a formal request from the United States for specific...
 
 
Courtesy graphic

Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA

AFRL photograph The Aero-adaptive Aero-optic Beam Control turret that Lockheed Martin is developing for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and the Air Force Research Laboratory has completed initial flight testing. T...
 

 

Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jvXmOW8L3mU Lockheed Martin successfully tested a new solution for integrated live, virtual and constructive training during a flight demonstration at the company’s Aeronautics facility in Fort Worth, Texas. During the flight test, a pilot flying in a live F-16 engaged in a synthetic training exercise with a pilot flying as wing...
 
 
Image courtesy of NASA/JPL-Caltech/Univ. of Arizona

NASA’s Mars Curiosity rover arrives at Martian mountain

NASA’s Mars Curiosity rover has reached the Red Planet’s Mount Sharp, a Mount-Rainier-size mountain at the center of the vast Gale Crater and the rover mission’s long-term prime destination. “Curiosity n...
 
 

Raytheon begins full rate production on TALON Laser Guided Rockets

Under a $117 million contract awarded to Raytheon, Raytheon Missile Systems has begun production of the TALON Laser Guided Rocket. In 2013, the Armed Forces General Headquarters of the United Arab Emirates awarded Tawazun a contract to procure the TALON Laser Guided Rocket. “Full rate production of the TALON LGR is a significant milestone for...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>