In the news...

July 23, 2012

News Briefs – July 23, 2012

Two dead from Oman helicopter crash

The U.S. Navy says the death toll from a helicopter crash last week in the Arabian peninsula nation of Oman is two.

It says three other crewmembers aboard the downed MH-53E Sea Dragon survived Thursday’s crash.

The Navy’s Bahrain-based 5th Fleet identified the deceased sailors late Julyi 21 as Senior Chief Aviation Warfare Systems Operator Sean P. Sullivan, 40, of St. Louis, Mo., and Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter) 2nd Class Joseph P. Fitzmorris, 31, of West Monroe, La.

The helicopter was assigned to Helicopter Mine Countermeasure Squadron 15, based in Norfolk, Va. It crashed 58 miles southwest of the Omani capital Muscat. No hostile activity was suspected.

The Navy says it is investigating. AP

 

Virginia grand jury indicts military contractor

A federal grand jury in Virginia has indicted a military contractor on charges of misrepresenting the level of protection provided by armored vehicles used by VIP convoys in Iraq.

U.S. Attorney Timothy Heaphey in Roanoke announced the 13-count indictment July 19. Armet Armored Vehicles and its president, 67-year-old William R. Whyte of Ontario, Canada, are charged with three counts of major fraud against the United States, seven counts of wire fraud and three counts of false claims.

The company, which has offices in Ontario and Danville, Va., did not immediately respond to telephone and email messages. Court documents did not list an attorney for the defendants.

According to the indictment, Armet sold the U.S. military seven armored gun trucks that failed to meet required ballistic and blast protection standards. AP

 

U.S. cuts military aid to Rwanda over Congo concerns

The U.S. government says it has cut this year’s planned military assistance to Rwanda amid concerns that the government in Kigali is supporting rebel movements in neighboring Congo.

The State Department said in a statement July 21 that “the United States has been actively engaged at the highest levels to urge Rwanda to halt and prevent the provision of such support, which threatens to undermine stability in the region.”

The U.S. – usually a staunch Rwandan ally – therefore said it won’t pay $200,000 of initially pledged military aid.

Rwanda has denied reports by the United Nations and rights groups that it is supporting the so-called M23 rebel movement in eastern Congo, which has sparked new fighting in recent months that has forced more than 200,000 civilians from their homes. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines October 29, 2014

News: Unmanned rocket explodes just six seconds after taking off - A NASA rocket due to be visible across the East Coast on its way to the International Space Station has blown up on the Launchpad. IG: Former chief of wounded warrior office broke law, DOD regs - The Defense Department inspector general has recommended “corrective action”...
 
 

News Briefs October 29, 2014

F-35C makes first landing at Virginia Beach Navy base The Navy says an operational F-35C joint strike fighter has landed at Naval Air Station Oceana for the first time. Naval Air Station Oceana is the Navy’s master jet base on the East Coast. The Navy says the plane came to the Virginia Beach base Oct....
 
 

Time to turn to American technology for space launch

For the first time since the Cold War, the United States has deployed armored reinforcements to Europe. To counter Russia’s aggression, several hundred troops and 20 tanks are now in the Baltic. Yet the U.S. military is still injecting millions into the Russian military industrial complex. In late August, the United Launch Alliance – the...
 

 
Air Force photograph by Joe Davila

Boeing, Air Force demonstrate Minuteman III readiness in flight test

Air Force photograph by Joe Davila Boeing supported the launch of an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., on Sept. 23, 2014. Boeing supported the U.S. Air Force’s succ...
 
 

Pentagon going to court for refusing to release Sikorsky data

PETALUMA, Calif. – The Pentagon is refusing to release any data on any prime contractors participating in the 25-year-old Comprehensive Subcontracting Plan Test Program. The American Small Business League launched a program in 2010 to expose the fraud and abuse against small businesses the CSPTP had allowed. As a test the ASBL requested the most...
 
 
Northrop Grumman photograph

Raytheon Griffin C flight tests demonstrate in-flight retargeting capability

Northrop Grumman photograph Northrop Grumman has received a contract from the U.S. Marine Corps for low-rate initial production of the AN/TPS-80 Ground/Air Task Oriented Radar (G/ATOR). G/ATOR is the first ground-based multi-mi...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>