In the news...

July 23, 2012

News Briefs – July 23, 2012

Two dead from Oman helicopter crash

The U.S. Navy says the death toll from a helicopter crash last week in the Arabian peninsula nation of Oman is two.

It says three other crewmembers aboard the downed MH-53E Sea Dragon survived Thursday’s crash.

The Navy’s Bahrain-based 5th Fleet identified the deceased sailors late Julyi 21 as Senior Chief Aviation Warfare Systems Operator Sean P. Sullivan, 40, of St. Louis, Mo., and Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter) 2nd Class Joseph P. Fitzmorris, 31, of West Monroe, La.

The helicopter was assigned to Helicopter Mine Countermeasure Squadron 15, based in Norfolk, Va. It crashed 58 miles southwest of the Omani capital Muscat. No hostile activity was suspected.

The Navy says it is investigating. AP

 

Virginia grand jury indicts military contractor

A federal grand jury in Virginia has indicted a military contractor on charges of misrepresenting the level of protection provided by armored vehicles used by VIP convoys in Iraq.

U.S. Attorney Timothy Heaphey in Roanoke announced the 13-count indictment July 19. Armet Armored Vehicles and its president, 67-year-old William R. Whyte of Ontario, Canada, are charged with three counts of major fraud against the United States, seven counts of wire fraud and three counts of false claims.

The company, which has offices in Ontario and Danville, Va., did not immediately respond to telephone and email messages. Court documents did not list an attorney for the defendants.

According to the indictment, Armet sold the U.S. military seven armored gun trucks that failed to meet required ballistic and blast protection standards. AP

 

U.S. cuts military aid to Rwanda over Congo concerns

The U.S. government says it has cut this year’s planned military assistance to Rwanda amid concerns that the government in Kigali is supporting rebel movements in neighboring Congo.

The State Department said in a statement July 21 that “the United States has been actively engaged at the highest levels to urge Rwanda to halt and prevent the provision of such support, which threatens to undermine stability in the region.”

The U.S. – usually a staunch Rwandan ally – therefore said it won’t pay $200,000 of initially pledged military aid.

Rwanda has denied reports by the United Nations and rights groups that it is supporting the so-called M23 rebel movement in eastern Congo, which has sparked new fighting in recent months that has forced more than 200,000 civilians from their homes. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines November 21, 2014

News: Dempsey lays groundwork for larger 2016 defense budget - The top U.S. military official on Wednesday made the case for growing the base defense budget significantly over the $535 billion spending cap imposed by Congress for fiscal 2015.   Business: Boeing can bill $61 million that Pentagon withheld for months - The Pentagon withheld $60.5 million...
 
 

News Briefs November 21, 2014

Obama aide: U.S. should look at Ukraine military aid A senior aide of President Barack Obama says he believes the U.S. should consider giving Ukraine lethal, defensive military assistance to get Russia to think twice about its destabilizing behavior. Tony Blinken, the deputy national security adviser, cites serious violations by Russia of agreements not to...
 
 
navy-collission2

Two U.S. Navy ships collide in Gulf of Aden

MANAMA, Bahrain – Two U.S. Naval supply ships collided in the Gulf of Aden Nov. 20 at 5:26 a.m., GMT, with no injuries to crew members. USNS Amelia Earhart (T-AKE 6) and USNS Walter S. Diehl (T-AO 193) collided as they we...
 

 

Headlines November 17, 2014

News: Fight over A-10 re-opens Hill, Air Force divide - After a relatively quiet summer, the battle for the future of the A-10 Warthog exploded in the last two weeks, reopening deep fissures between Congress and the Air Force that seem to show the two sides at a total stalemate. Chances for sequester relief fade as...
 
 

News Briefs Nov, 17, 2014

Second stealthy destroyer starting to take shape The second of three stealthy destroyers under construction in Maine is starting to take shape. The Navy says it has completed the hoisting of the 1,000-ton composite deckhouse onto the 610-foot hull of the future USS Michael Monsoor. It took four cranes to complete the job Nov. 14....
 
 

Hagel: United States needs game-changing military innovation

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Wary of a more muscular Russia and China, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Nov. 15 the Pentagon will make a new push for fresh thinking about how the U.S. can keep and extend its military superiority despite tighter budgets and the wear and tear of 13 years of war. Hagel announced...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>