In the news...

July 23, 2012

News Briefs – July 23, 2012

Two dead from Oman helicopter crash

The U.S. Navy says the death toll from a helicopter crash last week in the Arabian peninsula nation of Oman is two.

It says three other crewmembers aboard the downed MH-53E Sea Dragon survived Thursday’s crash.

The Navy’s Bahrain-based 5th Fleet identified the deceased sailors late Julyi 21 as Senior Chief Aviation Warfare Systems Operator Sean P. Sullivan, 40, of St. Louis, Mo., and Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter) 2nd Class Joseph P. Fitzmorris, 31, of West Monroe, La.

The helicopter was assigned to Helicopter Mine Countermeasure Squadron 15, based in Norfolk, Va. It crashed 58 miles southwest of the Omani capital Muscat. No hostile activity was suspected.

The Navy says it is investigating. AP

 

Virginia grand jury indicts military contractor

A federal grand jury in Virginia has indicted a military contractor on charges of misrepresenting the level of protection provided by armored vehicles used by VIP convoys in Iraq.

U.S. Attorney Timothy Heaphey in Roanoke announced the 13-count indictment July 19. Armet Armored Vehicles and its president, 67-year-old William R. Whyte of Ontario, Canada, are charged with three counts of major fraud against the United States, seven counts of wire fraud and three counts of false claims.

The company, which has offices in Ontario and Danville, Va., did not immediately respond to telephone and email messages. Court documents did not list an attorney for the defendants.

According to the indictment, Armet sold the U.S. military seven armored gun trucks that failed to meet required ballistic and blast protection standards. AP

 

U.S. cuts military aid to Rwanda over Congo concerns

The U.S. government says it has cut this year’s planned military assistance to Rwanda amid concerns that the government in Kigali is supporting rebel movements in neighboring Congo.

The State Department said in a statement July 21 that “the United States has been actively engaged at the highest levels to urge Rwanda to halt and prevent the provision of such support, which threatens to undermine stability in the region.”

The U.S. – usually a staunch Rwandan ally – therefore said it won’t pay $200,000 of initially pledged military aid.

Rwanda has denied reports by the United Nations and rights groups that it is supporting the so-called M23 rebel movement in eastern Congo, which has sparked new fighting in recent months that has forced more than 200,000 civilians from their homes. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines September 29, 2014

News: U.S. military limits warplanes used for Islamic State bombingsĀ - The U.S. is relying mostly on warplanes already positioned in the region for its air war against the Islamic State, as opposed to dispatching a major buildup of aerial forces that happened in previous campaigns.   Business: At DOD, it’s use-it-or-lose-it seasonĀ - As fiscal 2014...
 
 

News Briefs September 29, 2014

Navy awards ship design grant to UNO The University of New Orleans has received a $210,000 grant from the Navy s Office of Naval Research to test information gathering and analysis techniques intended to improve warship design. The goal for warship designers is to produce a vessel that can be repurposed numerous times throughout its...
 
 
Courtesy photograph

TACP-M ties it all together

Air National Guard photograph by SSgt. Lealan Buehrer Tactical air control party specialists with the 169th Air Support Operations Squadron survey an enemy-controlled landing zone before calling in close-air support Aug. 14, 20...
 

 
Air Force photograph by A1C Thomas Spangler

Nellis aggressor squadron inactivated

Air Force photograph by A1C Thomas Spangler SSgt. Justin White signals to Maj. Sam Joplin to begin taxiing a 65th Aggressor Squadron F-15 Eagle to the runway Sept. 18, 2014, at Nellis Air Force Base Nev. The roles and responsib...
 
 
Army photograph by SSgt. Mary S. Katzenberger

82nd Airborne helps commemorate 70th Anniversary of Operation Market Garden

Army photograph by SSgt. Mary S. Katzenberger A paratrooper assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, reflects near the grave of a British paratrooper at the Arnhem Oosterbeek War Cemetery, Sept. 14, 2014, in the Netherlands. The...
 
 

Raytheon awarded $251 million Tomahawk missile contract

The U.S. Navy has awarded Raytheon a $251 million contract to procure Tomahawk Block IV tactical cruise missiles for fiscal year 2014 with an option for 2015. The contract calls for Raytheon to build and deliver Tomahawk Block IV cruise missiles to the U.S. Navy and U.K. Royal Navy. Raytheon will also conduct flight tests...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>