Business

August 2, 2012

Lockheed Martin, Raytheon demonstrate SEWIP electronic attack capability for U.S. Navy At RIMPAC

The Lockheed Martin-Raytheon team demonstrated its proposed SEWIP Block 3 solution at RIMPAC.

A Lockheed Martin and Raytheon team has demonstrated its potential electronic attack solution for the U.S. Navy’s Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program during the multinational Rim of the Pacific maritime exercise near Hawaii.

The team’s potential electronic attack solution went to sea aboard Lockheed Martin’s mobile Integrated Common Electronic Warfare System test bed to demonstrate proposed improvements to the fleet’s capability to electronically attack anti-ship missiles, in advance of a Navy competition later this summer.

“Following our highly successful land-based testing earlier this year, RIMPAC presented the perfect opportunity to test our proposed SEWIP Block 3 solution in operational scenarios with the fleet,” said Joe Ottaviano, SEWIP program director at Lockheed Martin’s Mission Systems & Sensors business. “We’ve continued the same disciplined, enterprise approach to developing this upgrade that has been so successful for Block 2, backed by more than 80 years of combined, proven experience developing electronic systems to defend the fleet.”

“At-sea demonstration of our full suite of electronic attack capabilities is an important next step in the development of the Lockheed Martin-Raytheon potential SEWIP Block 3 offering,” said Michael Baladjanian, Tactical Airborne Systems director, Emerging Programs, for Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems. “The lessons we learn from the RIMPAC exercises will be used to further enhance our SEWIP Block 3 offering and help provide a lower risk solution to the Navy.”

SEWIP is an evolutionary development of block upgrades to the AN/SLQ-32 electronic warfare system installed on all U.S. aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers and other warships to improve anti-ship missile defense, counter targeting, and counter surveillance activities.

The Lockheed Martin-Raytheon team completed thorough land-based integration and test activities of its SEWIP Block 3 solution earlier this year in a realistic, simulated environment at Lockheed Martin’s new $3.5 million electronic warfare test facility in Syracuse, N.Y.

The Navy competitively awarded Lockheed Martin the SEWIP Block 2 contract in November 2009 to upgrade the passive detection capabilities of the fleet’s AN/SLQ-32 systems and establish a framework to easily install future upgrades. The company held a successful critical design review in February 2011 and is now integrating and testing its SEWIP Block 2 solution on two engineering development models.

Developed by Raytheon in the 1970s, the original AN/SLQ-32 systems employed passive radar technology for early warning, identification and tracking of enemy threats. Subsequent upgrades provided an additional active capability for simultaneous jamming of multiple threats.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 28, 2015

Business: Rafale, Mistral on agenda for Le Drian in Malaysia, India¬†– French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is due to visit Malaysia Aug. 30, with talks expected to cover the Rafale fighter jet and Mistral helicopter carrier, website La Tribune reported. U.S. Army to choose new landing craft next year¬†– In line with the Pentagon’s...
 
 

News Briefs August 28, 2015

Boeing plans to lay off some Southern California workers Boeing has announced that it plans to lay off employees at its Southern California-based satellite division. The Los Angeles Times reports that the aerospace giant said Aug. 25 that it will lay off as many as several hundred employees at the El Segundo factory. Boeing says...
 
 

Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident

Two special tactics airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26. Capt. Matthew D. Roland, 27, and SSgt. Forrest B. Sibley, 31, were at a vehicle checkpoint when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces uniforms opened fire on them. NATO service members...
 

 

Hurricane Hunters to fly Tropical Storm Erika

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters are operating out of Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., flying their state-of-the-art WC-130J Super Hercules into Tropical Storm Erika in support of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew four missions into the tropical storm from their deployed location at St. Croix in the...
 
 
LM-MUOS

U.S. Navy, Lockheed Martin ready to launch MUOS-4 Aug. 31

The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin are ready to launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System secure communications satellite, MUOS-4, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Aug. 31 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V...
 
 

Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence

The Pentagon’s inspector general is investigating an allegation that the military command overseeing the anti-Islamic State campaign distorted or altered intelligence assessments to exaggerate progress against the militant group, a defense official said Aug. 26. The official was not authorized to discuss the probe publicly and so spoke on condition of anonymity. The investigation was...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>