Defense

September 5, 2012

Budget cuts loom over plans for F-35 at Nellis

The potential for defense budget cuts and layoffs at Lockheed Martin loom over plans to deliver the first F-35 fighter jets to Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., early next year, though no decision has been announced about which programs might get cut and where.

The base in southern Nevada is set to get 36 Joint Strike Fighter jets over 10 years. Automatic defense budget cuts of nearly $500 billion are set to take effect in January unless Congress agrees on another deficit-reduction plan or suspends the current plan.

Some Republican senators say it would be a mistake to cut the defense budget so steeply.

The cuts set for January would be the first round of 10 annual reductions. The cuts would be split between national security and other programs and aimed at reducing the federal deficit.

“We don’t know how sequestration will affect any individual program or facility but, as we’ve consistently said, we will follow the law with respect to sequestration and the WARN Act,” Lockheed Martin corporate spokesman Christopher Williams said Aug. 31.

The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act requires most employers with 100 or more employees to notify workers 60 days before mass layoffs.

Without action by Congress, Lockheed Martin would be forced to issue layoff notices at the end of October to many of its 120,000 workforce. They would include workers involved in manufacturing, testing and delivering the Joint Strike Fighter.

The Sequestration Transparency Act, signed by President Barack Obama on Aug. 7, requires the administration to reveal details about the $1.2 trillion in cuts. Williams said Lockheed Martin hopes to know some of those details by Sept. 8.

Last August, congressional Republicans demanded spending cuts in response to Obama’s plea to raise the nation’s borrowing authority by $2.1 trillion. As part of the negotiated deal, the two sides agreed on spending cuts and the creation of the bipartisan Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction. When that so-called “supercommittee” was unable to reach a consensus on a deficit-cutting plan last November, the countdown toward sequestration began.

Speculation about how the cuts could affect Nellis is premature because details of those cuts haven’t been decided yet, a spokeswoman for the southern Nevada base told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

“We expect to have up to 36 F-35s assigned here between 2013 and 2022,” Maj. Mae-Li Allison told the Review-Journal.

She said four F-35s are expected at the base in the first three months of next year.

Last month, Sens. John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Kelly Ayotte met with Air Force leaders at Nellis to discuss the potential effects of sequestration.

They suggested a plan that would postpone the automatic cuts for four months while the Obama administration worked out a deficit reduction plan. After the meeting, they said generals told them the cuts could devastate the top Air Force fighter pilot training program.

“Obviously, they are brave, strong people, and they can do anything. But there’s no doubt that cuts would have a draconian effect on their ability to do their jobs,” McCain said.

Graham said the future of Nellis would be “very dismal” if the cuts occur as currently planned.

The single-engine F-35, which is currently being test flown, can fly at 11/2 times the speed of sound and evade radar detection with stealth technology. Versions developed for the Navy and Marine Corps can take off from short runways and aircraft carriers and land vertically. AP

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
Air Force photograph by 1st Lt. Jake Bailey

Cope South experts exchange knowledge, techniques

Air Force photograph by 1st Lt. Jake Bailey TSgt. Sam Bishop, center left, and SSgt. Jeffrey Stephens discuss propeller maintenance with Bangladesh air force maintainers, from the 101st Special Flying Unit, during exercise Cope...
 
 

Air Force names 2-star to lead F-35 Integration Office

With the initial operating capability date of the F-35 Lightning II quickly approaching, the Air Force appointed Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Harrigian as the director of a larger Air Force F-35 Integration Office, Feb. 1. In addition to gaining new leadership, the F-35 Integration Office will also grow from a staff of four to 12 and...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash

Air Force risks becoming too small to succeed under sequestration

Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee Jan. 28, 2015, in Washington, D.C., as Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Joesph F. Dunf...
 

 
Navy photograph by Ens. Jessica Kellogg

USS Elrod is decommissioned

Navy photograph by Ens. Jessica Kellogg The Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate USS Elrod (FFG 55) returns to her homeport at Naval Station Norfolk after a six-month deployment to the U.S. 6th Fleet area of responsibility. This w...
 
 

AF Identifies Boeing 747-8 platform for next Air Force One

Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James, in coordination with the Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Frank Kendall, has determined the Boeing 747-8 will serve as the next presidential aircraft, commonly known as Air Force One. “The presidential aircraft is one of the most visible symbols of the United States of...
 
 
Navy photograph

USS Roosevelt marks 200,000 trap

Navy photograph An F/A-18F Super Hornet flown by Capt. Daniel Grieco, commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), and Capt. Benjamin Hewlett, deputy commander of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1, complet...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>