In the news...

December 17, 2012

News Briefs – December 17, 2012

400 workers to be laid off at Indiana Humvee plant

 

AM General says it plans to lay off 400 employees at its military assembly plant in northern Indiana beginning Jan. 1.

Company spokesman Jeff Adams tells the South Bend Tribune that the layoffs announced Dec. 13 will last until March.

Adams says such temporary layoffs may become more common in the future. He says the company had hoped to have a new international contract ready for 2013, but it has been delayed.

Workers at the Mishawaka plant that makes Humvees for the military had returned to work Nov. 26 following a layoff of nearly two months. AP

 

Settlement reached in Kansas contamination cleanup

 

Salina, Kansas, officials and the federal government reached a financial settlement to cover another step in cleaning up contaminated groundwater and soil at a former Air Force base.

Officials announced Dec. 13 that the federal government will pay 90 percent of an estimated $9.3 million needed to investigate the contamination, prepare a feasibility study and agree to a final plan for cleaning up the industrial solvent TCE at the former Schilling Air Force Base. The city of Salina will pay the remaining 10 percent.

KSAL reports the federal share is about $8.4 million and the local share is $936,000.

The deal must be approved by the Salina City Commission, the Salina School District, the Salina Airport Authority and Kansas State University, as well as the U.S. District Court and Justice Department. AP

 

Iran warns Turkey over NATO’s missile system

 

A top Iranian military commander has warned Turkey against stationing NATO anti-missile systems on its territory, saying such a move risks war with Syria.

Gen. Hassan Firouzabadi, who is army chief of staff, is urging Turkey, U.S. and Europeans to dismantle the Patriot missile defense system before a war breaks out. He says the system was stationed in Turkey to protect Israel from Iranian missiles attacks and inhibit Russian defense of Syria.

Firouzabadi’s remarks were reported by state TV Dec. 15.

Dec. 14, the Pentagon announced it will send two batteries of Patriot missiles and 400 troops to Turkey as part of a larger NATO force to protect Turkish territory from potential Syrian missile attacks. AP

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines October 24, 2014

News: U.S., South Korea delay transfer of wartime control - The U.S. and South Korea have delayed transferring wartime operational control of allied forces by taking on a “conditions-based approach” and scrapping the previously set deadline of 2015.   Business: Exclusive: Lockheed, Pentagon reach $4 billion deal for more F-35 jets - Lockheed Martin and U.S. defense...
 
 

News Briefs October 24, 2014

French moving troops toward Libyan border A top French military official says the country is moving troops toward the Libyan border within weeks and, along with U.S. intelligence, is monitoring al Qaeda arms shipments to Africa’s Sahel region. A French base will go up within weeks in a desert outpost just a hundred kilometers (60...
 
 
Navy photograph

Navy to commission submarine North Dakota

Navy photograph The PCU North Dakota (SSN 784) during bravo sea trials. The crew performed exceptionally well on both alpha and bravo sea trials. The submarine North Dakota is the 11th ship of the Virginia class, the first U.S....
 

 

Boeing announces SF Airlines order for Boeing converted freighters

Boeing announced Oct. 23 that SF Airlines has placed an order for an undisclosed number of 767-300ER passenger-to-freighter conversions (Boeing Converted Freighters). SF Airlines, a subsidiary of Shenzhen, China-based delivery services company SF Express, will accept its first redelivered 767 in the second half of 2015. “SF Express aims to become China’s most respected and...
 
 
LM-C130

Another Super Herc Little Rock Rollin’

  Lockheed Martin delivered another C-130J Super Hercules to the 61st Airlift Squadron at Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark., Oct. 23. Little Rock AFB’s new C-130J was ferried from the Lockheed Martin Aeronautics facility ...
 
 

United Technologies beats third quarter profit expectations

United Technologies Corp. Oct. 23 reported third-quarter profit of $1.85 billion as sales increased across all its businesses and the aerospace giant reported favorable tax settlements. The Hartford, Conn.,-based company said it had profit of $2.04 per share and earnings, adjusted for non-recurring gains, came to $1.82 per share. The results topped Wall Street expectations,...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>