Defense

February 1, 2013

1994 Direct Combat Definition, Assignment Rule rescinded, new billets for Navy women

navy-women
As a result of the Department of Defense’s rescission of 1994 Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule, the Navy is developing plans to move forward in opening all positions previously closed to the assignment of women.

Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin Dempsey announced Jan. 24 the rescission the 1994 Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule for women and that the Department of Defense plans to remove gender-based barriers to service.

“What this means for the Navy is that although no new billets will open immediately, we will now develop a plan that evaluates how we will open all positions previously closed to women,” said Rear Adm. Tony Kurta, Director, Military Personnel Plans and Policy. “The plan will include continued assessment of ship classes to determine the feasibility of retrofit for gender neutral assignment, as well as development and evaluation of gender neutral occupational standards.”

Positions will be opened to women following the Navy’s service review and the congressional notification procedures established by law. All of Navy’s formerly closed positions will be opened, unless an exception to policy is granted by the Secretary of Defense.

As part of the service review planning process, the Navy will undertake an evaluation of all occupational performance standards to ensure they are up to current, relevant, and gender-neutral. The results of this evaluation are to be submitted to the defense secretary as part of the Navy’s overall implementation plan due May 15. The secretary’s direction is for this process to be complete by Jan. 1, 2016.

“Eighty eight percent of all Navy billets are currently open to women and we recently opened the nuclear submarine officer designator,” said Kurta. “We will continue to expand opportunities, and the first step in doing so is the creation of our implementation plan. This will not be an overnight change, but a careful, thoughtful process. “

The elimination of the policy will potentially open over 5,000 enlisted U.S. Marine Corps Ground Combat Element positions, and 150 USMC Ground Combat Element officer positions.

“Gender-neutral occupational standards, which are under development by Marine Corps, will be used to assess and assign sailors to Marine Corps Ground Combat Element positions,” said Kurta.

As part of the Navy’s required implementation plan, guidance for the assignment of women to Coastal Riverine Forces and USMC Air and Naval Gunfire Liaison Company positions will also be developed. As detailed in NAVADMIN 015/13, Navy will work with Navy Special Warfare Command and U.S. Special Operations Command to develop and evaluate a way ahead for the assignment of women to Naval Special Warfare-designated billets.

“Women have shown great courage and sacrifice on and off the battlefield, contributed in unprecedented ways to the military’s mission and proven their ability to serve in an expanding number of roles,” Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta said. “The Department’s goal in rescinding the rule is to ensure that the mission is met with the best-qualified and most capable people, regardless of gender.”

More information on women in the Navy can be found at the Navy Office of Women’s Policy web site at www.npc.navy.mil/AboutUs/BUPERS/WomensPolicy/<br< a=””>>

For more news from Chief of Naval Personnel – Office of Diversity and Inclusion, visit www.navy.mil/local/cnp-diversity/.

 

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines July 6, 2015

News Long wait to come to America for Iraqis, Afghans who served U.S. troops Long wait times and a shortage of available visas for a huge backlog of applications remain major issues for the U.S. government’s Special Immigrant Visa program intended to ease entry to the United States for Iraqis and Afghans who served as...
 
 

News Briefs July 6, 2015

Russian MiG fighter crashes in southern Russia, pilot lives The Russian Defense Ministry says a Russian air force fighter jet has crashed in the south but its pilot ejected safely. The MiG-29 fighter jet went down July 3 near the village of Kushchevskaya in the Krasnodar region, 620 miles south of Moscow. The ministry said...
 
 
Army photograph by Doug LaFon

Army researcher’s interest in robotics leads to innovative device

Army photograph by Doug LaFon Dan Baechle, left, from the U.S. Army Research Laboratory Multifunctional Materials research team, has created a laboratory prototype of a device he designed to sense and damp out arm tremors for A...
 

 
Air Force photograph by TSgt. Joseph Swafford

Pave Hawk maintainers keep rescue birds flying

Air Force photograph by TSgt. Joseph Swafford Airman Joshua Herron, a 41st Expeditionary Helicopter Maintenance Unit HH-60 Pave Hawk crew chief, completes a 50-hour inspection on a Pave Hawk at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, Jun...
 
 
Air Force photograph by SrA. Benjamin Raughton

B-52s demonstrate strategic reach

Air Force photograph by SrA. Benjamin Raughton A B-52H Stratofortress is marshalled to a stop at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., after a 44-hour sortie July 2, 2015. Aircrew members and two B-52s from Barksdale AFB’s 96th ...
 
 

Soldier missing from Korean War accounted for

The Department of Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced July 1 that the remains of a serviceman, missing from the Korean War, have been identified and will be returned to his family for burial with full military honors. Army Sgt. Joseph M. Snock Jr. of Apollo, Pennsylvania, was buried July 6, in Arlington National Cemetery. In...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>