U.S.

February 8, 2013

GOP lawmakers offer alternative to automatic cuts

A group of GOP lawmakers from House and Senate Feb. 6 offered a plan to cut the federal workforce and use the savings to replace some $85 billion in across-the-board budget cuts to the Pentagon and domestic programs.

The legislation reprises a plan offered last year that failed to advance.

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard “Buck” McKeon, R-Calif., leads the group, which agrees with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta that a looming 8 percent cut to this year’s Pentagon budget would recklessly harm the nation’s military.

McKeon said the Pentagon faces “dire straits.”

The plan would generate replacement savings by requiring a 10 percent reduction in the government’s workforce through attrition – replacing one out of every three employees who leave the government.

The automatic cuts, dubbed a sequester in Washington-speak, result from the failure of the 2011 deficit “supercommittee” to meet its assignment to cut the deficit by $1.2 trillion over a decade. This year’s $109 billion round of cuts was trimmed by $24 billion in last month’s deal to avert the “fiscal cliff,” but the Pentagon still faces an 8 percent, $42.7 billion budget cut in the seven months starting in March and ending in September.

The military’s top brass warns that the cuts would create a “hollow force” and would devastate military readiness and training. While war costs and salaries for men and women in uniform would be exempt, those exceptions also serve to make the cuts to other Pentagon accounts, like weapons procurement and civilian pay, more harsh.

“Our enemies would love for this to happen,” Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said.

Non-defense programs face an equal $42.7 billion cut, including a $29 billion, or 5 percent, cut to domestic agencies.

President Barack Obama and fellow Democrats say new tax revenues need to be part of any measure to replace the automatic cuts, which economists warn would slow the economy if allowed to strike on March 1. Obama Feb. 5 urged Congress to act to replace the cuts with tax revenue from closing special interest loopholes and with spending cuts elsewhere in the budget.

Senate Democrats are working on a strategy for replacing the sequester, and the subject was a topic at a party retreat in Annapolis, Md., this week. But they have yet to unify behind a plan.

House Republicans, meanwhile, acted twice last year to erase this year’s portion of the sequester, most recently in December, when a replacement measure squeaked through the chamber on a 215-209 vote, with 21 Republicans opposed.

But that legislation died with the expiration of the previous Congress. Republicans control eight fewer votes this year, raising questions as to whether they could pass the measure now.

Some tea party conservatives seeking to shrink government are rooting for the cuts to take effect, leading to splits in the party.

“If you feel comfortable cutting the government this way, then you’ve lost your way as much as the president. What happened to the party of Ronald Reagan who said the No. 1 goal of the federal government … is to fund the Department of Defense?” Graham said. “What happened to that party? Well I intend to get that party back.”

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines March 23, 2015

News: Obama says more troops will stay in Afghanistan next year - President Obama March 24 formally abandoned his pledge to bring U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan down to 5,000 by the end of this year, saying the current force of about 10,000 will remain there into 2016.   Business: U.S. special ops to sole-source 2,000...
 
 

News Briefs March 25, 2015

Pentagon notifying U.S. troops named by alleged IS hackers The Pentagon said March 23 it is notifying 100 U.S. military members that their names and addresses were posted on the Internet by a group calling itself the Islamic State Hacking Division. The group said it was posting the information, including photos of the individuals, to...
 
 
Courtesy photograph

Lockheed Martin acquires high-speed wind tunnel, plans upgrades

Courtesy photograph A RATTLRS cruise-missile inlet undergoes testing at the High Speed Wind Tunnel at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control in Grand Prairie. Lockheed Martin recently purchased the facility and plans numerou...
 

 
Lockheed Martin photograph by Andrew McMurtrie

Off they go: Three more C-130Js delivered

Lockheed Martin photograph by Andrew McMurtrie March 19, a U.S. Air Force crew took delivery of and ferried an MC-130J Commando II Special Operations tanker aircraft that is assigned to Air Force Special Operations Command’s ...
 
 

Northrop to provide DIRCM for Canadian Chinook fleet

Northrop Grumman has been selected by the Royal Canadian Air Force to provide infrared missile protection on its fleet of CH-147F Chinooks. “Battle-tested in the harshest conditions and in use around the world, Northrop Grumman’s infrared countermeasure systems have been protecting warfighters for more than 50 years,” said Carl Smith, vice president, infrared countermeasures, ...
 
 

UTC Aerospace awarded contract for surface ship sonar domes

UTC Aerospace Systems has received a contract from the Naval Surface Warfare Center – Crane, Indiana, to provide sonar domes for surface combat ships. The five-year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract is valued at up to $39 million and covers deliveries through 2020 to the U.S. Navy and foreign military sales. In addition to the...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>