In the news...

March 1, 2013

News Briefs March 1, 2013

Written by: timchisham
More articles by »

Remains of Korean War soldier arrive in Calif.

A soldier who went missing during the Korean War more than 60 years ago is finally coming home.

A flag-draped coffin containing the remains of Army Pfc. Roosevelt Clark arrived Wednesday morning at Los Angeles International Airport from Hawaii.

Members of Clark’s family were on hand as a military honor guard carried the coffin to a hearse. The Bakersfield man will be taken to Kern County for burial.

Clark was just 18 when he was reported missing in action in 1950. His remains were among those recovered from North Korea in the 1990s and were recently identified through DNA and other tests. AP

Talks on lease of jets for Czech in trouble

Czech Prime Minister Petr Necas says he wants to negotiate a new deal to extend a lease on 14 JAS-39 Gripen fighter jets directly with the Swedish government.

Necas says he will request that because his government is not satisfied with the latest Swedish offer.

The lease of the planes for the Czech air force began in 2005 and will expire in 2015.

Necas said Feb. 27 if no deal is reached, the Czechs have more options to get planes.

The Czech government originally agreed to buy 24 military jets made by Sweden’s Saab and Britain’s BAE Systems in 2002, but canceled that after devastating floods left the country with a staggering cleanup bill.

The nation later decided to lease 14 of the same jets in a $1 billion deal. AP

Lawmakers, vet groups panning Pentagon’s new medal

Veterans groups and lawmakers are saying the military’s new medal for cyber warriors should get a demotion so it doesn’t outrank such revered honors as the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

The Distinguished Warfare Medal was announced two weeks ago. It’s a sign of the changing nature of war, and the increasingly important role played by attacks conducted remotely.

The Veterans of Foreign War and others say ranking the medal ahead of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart is an injustice to those who served on the front-lines.

Five veterans in the House have introduced a bill that would prohibit the Defense Department from rating the medal equal to or higher than the Purple Heart.

The Pentagon is giving no indication it is rethinking the award or its ranking. AP

Sierra Nevada beats Beechcraft for LAS contract

The U.S. Air Force has awarded Sierra Nevada Corp. a contract worth more than $427 million, dealing a major blow to Wichita, Kansas,-based Beechcraft as it emerges from bankruptcy protection.

The announcement Feb. 27 means Sierra Nevada will build at least 20 light air support planes in Jacksonville, Fla., for use in Afghanistan. The contract could ultimately be worth nearly $1 billion, depending on future orders.

The planes would give the Afghan National Army Air Corps a fixed-wing strike capability.

Beechcraft, formerly Hawker Beechcraft, had proposed the AT-6 attack aircraft, a version of its T-6 trainer. Sierra Nevada Corp. partnered with Brazil-based Embraer to offer its Super Tucano.

The competition for the award has taken nearly three years and has been plagued by delays and legal challenges. AP

Boeing reports 787 battery fix to Japan regulators

Boeing CEO Ray Conner has met with Japan’s transport minister and other officials in Tokyo to explain his company’s proposal for resolving problems with the 787 Dreamliner’s lithium-ion batteries that have kept the aircraft grounded for over a month.

Boeing said Conner met Feb. 28 with Akihiro Ota, who heads the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, and with the director general of the Civil Aviation Bureau, to explain the proposed solution to the problem of the batteries overheating.

Connor was also due to meet with All Nippon Airways, Boeing’s launch customer with 17 of the 787s, and with Japan Airlines, which has seven.

Boeing’s plan, presented to U.S. regulators last week, calls for revamping the batteries to prevent potential short-circuiting from spreading from any one battery cell to others. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 28, 2015

Business: Rafale, Mistral on agenda for Le Drian in Malaysia, India¬†– French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is due to visit Malaysia Aug. 30, with talks expected to cover the Rafale fighter jet and Mistral helicopter carrier, website La Tribune reported. U.S. Army to choose new landing craft next year¬†– In line with the Pentagon’s...
 
 

News Briefs August 28, 2015

Boeing plans to lay off some Southern California workers Boeing has announced that it plans to lay off employees at its Southern California-based satellite division. The Los Angeles Times reports that the aerospace giant said Aug. 25 that it will lay off as many as several hundred employees at the El Segundo factory. Boeing says...
 
 

Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident

Two special tactics airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26. Capt. Matthew D. Roland, 27, and SSgt. Forrest B. Sibley, 31, were at a vehicle checkpoint when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces uniforms opened fire on them. NATO service members...
 

 

Hurricane Hunters to fly Tropical Storm Erika

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters are operating out of Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., flying their state-of-the-art WC-130J Super Hercules into Tropical Storm Erika in support of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew four missions into the tropical storm from their deployed location at St. Croix in the...
 
 
LM-MUOS

U.S. Navy, Lockheed Martin ready to launch MUOS-4 Aug. 31

The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin are ready to launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System secure communications satellite, MUOS-4, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Aug. 31 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V...
 
 

Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence

The Pentagon’s inspector general is investigating an allegation that the military command overseeing the anti-Islamic State campaign distorted or altered intelligence assessments to exaggerate progress against the militant group, a defense official said Aug. 26. The official was not authorized to discuss the probe publicly and so spoke on condition of anonymity. The investigation was...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>