In the news...

March 4, 2013

News Briefs March 4, 2013

NORAD may shed 24-hour alert sites in Virginia, Minnesota

NORAD is considering taking two of its 18 Air Force sites off 24-hour alert, saying it will save millions of dollars without compromising its ability to defend against 9/11-style attacks.

A Government Accountability Office report released Feb. 28 said the North American Aerospace Defense Command might take fighter squadrons in Duluth, Minn., and at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va., off 24-hour alert.

A NORAD spokesman says no decision has been made and both sites remain on alert.

NORAD, based in Colorado, told the GAO the move wouldn’t hurt its ability to scramble fighters to intercept hostile or hijacked aircraft. NORAD said it used computer models and other analyses.

The Air Force says the move would save $73.1 million over five years. It appears to be unrelated to mandatory budget cuts taking effect March 1. AP

Hagel vows budget cuts won’t erode US military

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says the Pentagon will not let the impending $46 billion in budget cuts erode the military’s capacity to be what he called the best fighting force in world.

Hagel says he is confident the president and Congress will eventually reach a consensus to avert what he predicted would be tremendous damage to the U.S. military.

The automatic, across-the-board cuts scheduled to begin at midnight will slash the defense budget through September. Additional cuts would continue as long as the budget measure remains in effect.

The military services have begun to provide details of the impact on the troops, including furloughs for roughly 800,000 workers, the delay in deployment of an aircraft carrier to the Middle East and deep decreases in training, maintenance and equipment programs. AP

MacDill cancels Airfest due to forced budget cuts

MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., has cancelled its popular show that would have featured the Navy’s demonstration flying team due to forced budget cuts.

The base in Tampa made the announcement March 1. Officials said the two-day show in April had to be cancelled because of the government’s automatic spending cuts that took effect on Friday.

MacDill spokesman Terry Montrose said they ìwaited until the very last minuteî to make the decision.

The show was scheduled for April 6 and 7 and was free to the public. It draws nearly 100,000 spectators to the area and would have included a show by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels. AP

Boeing begins selling off Kansas buildings

Boeing has begun marketing its vast Wichita, Kansas, complex of buildings as the aircraft maker prepares to end its operations in the city.

The Wichita Eagle reports the company offered a tour Feb. 28 of three large office buildings – the first of its 97 structures to go on the market. About 40 commercial real estate brokers and economic development officials took part in the open house.

The office buildings will be available for occupancy later this year, with hangars and other facilities to be available by the end of 2014. The office buildings range from about 100,000 to more than 300,000 square feet of space.

Boeing announced last year that it was closing the Wichita plant and moving work to Oklahoma, Texas and the Pacific Northwest. AP

China defends military spending

China is defending its booming military spending, saying its vast investments in the armed forces have contributed to global peace and stability.

However, in a break with previous years, no figure for this yearís defense budget was presented at a news conference held Monday on the eve of the opening of the annual legislative session. Spokeswoman Fu Ying said the figure would appear in the overall budget to be released March 5.

Chinese defense spending has grown substantially each year for more than two decades, and last year rose 11.2 percent to 670.2 billion yuan ($106.4 billion), an increase of about 67 billion yuan.

Only the United States spends more on defense.

Fu cited U.N. peacekeeping and anti-piracy patrols as examples of Chinaís contribution to world peace and stability. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines March 30, 2015

News: Pentagon chief mulls easing military enlistment standards - Defense Secretary Ash Carter is considering easing some military enlistment standards as part of a broader set of initiatives to better attract and keep quality service members and civilians across the Defense Department.   Business: Lockheed pays $2 million to settle government overbilling charges - Lockheed Martin Corpor...
 
 

News Briefs March 30, 2015

Landing mishap for military chopper; two aboard unhurt Two Navy officers were unhurt after their helicopter rolled on its side while landing in the Florida Panhandle. The mishap happened the night of March 27 at a Navy landing site in Pensacola, Fla. The Pensacola News Journal reports a pilot instructor and a student were able...
 
 

Headlines March 27, 2015

News General Dynamics withdraws as T-100 prime contractor General Dynamics Information Systems and Technology has withdrawn itself as the prime contractor on the T-100, the offering for the T-X trainer replacement program based on the Alenia Aermacchi M-346 design.   Business SpaceX’s fight with U.S. Air Force called a clash of perceptions Billionaire Elon Musk’s...
 

 

News Briefs March 27, 2015

Contractor extradited from Iraq pleads guilty in bribes case A man extradited from Iraq in a military contract bribery case has pleaded guilty to three charges in an agreement with federal prosecutors. U.S. District Judge Thomas Rose has scheduled sentencing for July 1 for Metin Atilan. His attorney, Nick Gounaris, says the two sides agreed...
 
 

Headlines March 25, 2015

News: Obama says more troops will stay in Afghanistan next year - President Obama March 24 formally abandoned his pledge to bring U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan down to 5,000 by the end of this year, saying the current force of about 10,000 will remain there into 2016.   Business: U.S. special ops to sole-source 2,000...
 
 

News Briefs March 25, 2015

Pentagon notifying U.S. troops named by alleged IS hackers The Pentagon said March 23 it is notifying 100 U.S. military members that their names and addresses were posted on the Internet by a group calling itself the Islamic State Hacking Division. The group said it was posting the information, including photos of the individuals, to...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>