In the news...

March 22, 2013

Quantico shooting incident leaves three Marines dead

Three active-duty Marines are dead after a shooting incident that began late last night (March 21) at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.

One of the dead was the shooter, who died of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials said.

The names of the dead are being withheld, pending notification of their families.

The base provost marshal’s office responded to the incident at about 11 p.m., with assistance from the Prince William County police department. The base was locked down as part of the response, and normal operations resumed early this morning.

The incident is under investigation, officials said.

In a statement released this morning, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel was saddened to learn of the shootings.

“This tragedy, as well as the tragedy in Nevada earlier this week, took the lives of Marines who volunteered to serve their nation,” Little said. “His heart and his prayers are with them and their families. He believes that the legendary strength of the United States Marine Corps will ensure that they are forever remembered.”

Seven Marines training at Hawthorne Army Depot, Nev., were killed March 19 in an explosion.

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines September 11, 2014

News: Obama ready to strike at Islamic State militants in Syria, he tells policy experts - President Obama is prepared to use U.S. military airstrikes in Syria as part of an expanded campaign to defeat the Islamic State and does not believe he needs formal congressional approval to take that action, according to people who have...
 
 

News Briefs September 11, 2014

U.S. airstrikes in Iraq hit Islamic State vehicles The U.S. military says it launched five more airstrikes in support of Iraqi government troops and Sunni tribesmen protecting the Haditha Dam against fighters of the Islamic State group that controls parts of northern and western Iraq. Central Command says that a combination of U.S. attack, fighter...
 
 

Headlines September 9, 2014

News: NATO unable to finalize troop numbers for Afghanistan - NATO leaders did not agree on the size of a training and assistance force expected to be based in Afghanistan from 2015 to 2017, as the alliance still waits for Kabul to approve an operating arrangement. F-35 head: Delays coming if test planes grounded through September -...
 

 

News Briefs September 9, 2014

California contractor gets prison in tax case A Southern California military contractor who failed to report millions earned from providing services in Iraq has been sentenced to four years in federal prison. Prosecutors say Nadim Saifan Jr. of Huntington Beach, Calif., was sentenced Sept. 5. He pleaded guilty in May to attempted tax evasion. Authorities...
 
 

Headlines September 4, 2014

News: U.S. military conducts operation in Somalia, Pentagon says - U.S. military forces conducted an operation Sept. 1 against the Al-Shabaab network in Somalia, Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby said.   Business: Pratt and Whitney halted F-35 engine delivery over titanium - United Technologies Corp.’s Pratt and Whitney unit said it suspended delivery of engines...
 
 

News Briefs September 4, 2014

U.S. military targets extremists in Somalia U.S. military forces targeted the Islamic extremist al-Shabab network in an operation Sept. 1 in Somalia, the Pentagon said. Spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said the U.S. was assessing the results and would provide more information when appropriate. No further details were available. A senior Somali intelligence official said...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>