Local

March 27, 2013

California airport developer charged with conspiracy

The man tasked with developing a former Air Force base into the San Bernardino International Airport has been charged with conspiracy and perjury, prosecutors said March 25.

Scot M. Spencer was arrested in Boca Raton, Fla., March 24 on five felony counts, and an investor and alleged co-conspirator, Felice G. Luciano, remained a fugitive, San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael Ramos said.

Spencer is a felon who served prison time for bankruptcy fraud, the district attorney’s office said. It wasn’t immediately clear if Spencer, who remained in Florida awaiting extradition to California, had retained an attorney.

Authorities want him held on $1 million bail and allege that he and Luciano used the struggling airport as a personal cash fund, taking $1 million for themselves.

“It’s an unconscionable crime,” Ramos said, according to the Riverside Press-Enterprise.

Spencer first arrived at the airport in 2003 to operate a charter airline after being awarded no-bid agreements to oversee the conversion of Norton Air Force Base into a civilian airport, the newspaper reported. Costs ballooned from $45 million in 2007 to $200 million, however, and there are still no scheduled flights.

A bankruptcy judge earlier this year ordered Spencer’s SBD Airport Services LLC out of the luxury private pilot terminal and his Norton Property Management Services LLC to leave one of the airport’s largest aircraft hangars. Spencer had filed for bankruptcy to stall his eviction from the airport.

According to the current criminal complaint dated March 22, Spencer submitted a bogus claim to the San Bernardino International Airport Authority for $1.75 million that said SBD Airport Services was forced to cancel an aircraft lease because it wasn’t able to occupy a hangar at the airport.

In March 2010, the complaint states, Spencer traveled to New York City and met with Luciano, where the two signed a fake lease agreement.

Spencer is also accused of lying under oath about his criminal history and his business involvement, and of presenting a false document as evidence.

Spencer has come under scrutiny before.

In 2011, he was the focus of a critical civil grand jury report and an FBI search. The grand jury found that Spencer received millions of dollars’ worth of questionable contracts from the airport authority.

The current investigation was conducted by members of a special multi-agency task force formed in 2010 to investigate corruption in San Bernardino County, about 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 28, 2015

Business: Rafale, Mistral on agenda for Le Drian in Malaysia, India – French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is due to visit Malaysia Aug. 30, with talks expected to cover the Rafale fighter jet and Mistral helicopter carrier, website La Tribune reported. U.S. Army to choose new landing craft next year – In line with the Pentagon’s...
 
 

News Briefs August 28, 2015

Boeing plans to lay off some Southern California workers Boeing has announced that it plans to lay off employees at its Southern California-based satellite division. The Los Angeles Times reports that the aerospace giant said Aug. 25 that it will lay off as many as several hundred employees at the El Segundo factory. Boeing says...
 
 

Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident

Two special tactics airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26. Capt. Matthew D. Roland, 27, and SSgt. Forrest B. Sibley, 31, were at a vehicle checkpoint when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces uniforms opened fire on them. NATO service members...
 

 

Hurricane Hunters to fly Tropical Storm Erika

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters are operating out of Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., flying their state-of-the-art WC-130J Super Hercules into Tropical Storm Erika in support of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew four missions into the tropical storm from their deployed location at St. Croix in the...
 
 
LM-MUOS

U.S. Navy, Lockheed Martin ready to launch MUOS-4 Aug. 31

The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin are ready to launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System secure communications satellite, MUOS-4, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Aug. 31 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V...
 
 

Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence

The Pentagon’s inspector general is investigating an allegation that the military command overseeing the anti-Islamic State campaign distorted or altered intelligence assessments to exaggerate progress against the militant group, a defense official said Aug. 26. The official was not authorized to discuss the probe publicly and so spoke on condition of anonymity. The investigation was...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>