In the news...

April 17, 2013

Air Force officials announce civilian Reduction in Force

In a continuing effort to meet the Department of Defense funding targets in the Fiscal Year 2012 President’s Budget and re-balance the civilian workforce, approximately 60 Air Force installations will implement civilian Reduction in Force authorities effective through about Aug. 23, to assist in the placement of employees not assigned against funded positions (termed “surplus employees”).

These actions started in fiscal 2012 and are not related to the current sequestration actions.

To meet the funding targets in the fiscal 2012 President’s Budget, the Air Force was required to reduce more than 16,000 civilian positions. The Air Force was able to successfully reduce approximately 15,000 positions minimizing adverse impact to civilian personnel, but now needs to use RIF authorities, which will provide options to help place most of the remaining civilians on unfunded positions.

RIF procedures allow greater flexibilities for employees to be placed at their installations and still retain their grade or pay. In addition, the use of RIF procedures allows for eligible employees who cannot immediately be placed in local vacancies to be registered in the Priority Placement Program.

“Voluntary efforts to balance the civilian workforce in fiscal 2012 have gotten us significantly closer to funded levels, but we still have a way to go in placing the number of surplus employees to funded vacancies, and RIF authorities will enable us to achieve that goal,” said Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, the director of force management policy for the Air Force. “The Air Force recognizes and strives to balance the invaluable contributions of our civilian workforce with the fiscal realities under which the Department of Defense and the government as a whole are operating. We continue to focus on minimizing the impact on our current civilian workforce and their families.”

As the Air Force continues to shape the work force, starting the RIF procedures will provide installations greater flexibilities to further realign and rebalance the civilian force.

“Usually a reduction in force has negative perception, but the use of RIF procedures will allow many employees to be retained and continue employment with the Air Force,” Grosso said. “We want to assure everyone involved with this process that we remain committed to minimizing the impacts during these times of transition.”

The processes available use reduction in force procedures to determine employee placement rights into vacancies as well as provide the flexibility to waive qualifications to create more placement options.

RIF implementation is separate from current sequestration actions.

For information about civilian employment, reduction in force and other personnel issues, visit the Air Force Personnel Service website at https://mypers.af.mil.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines May 22, 2015

News: Second Marine killed in Hawaii Osprey crash identified - Marine Corps officials have identified the second Marine to die as a result of the May 17 MV-22B Osprey crash as Lance Cpl. Matthew J. Determan of Maricopa, Ariz.   Business: Israel defense exports plunge to seven-year low - Israeli defense sales last year plunged to their...
 
 

News Briefs May 22, 2015

Ukrainian officer hit with third charge in Russia A third charge has been filed against a Ukrainian military officer who has been behind bars in Moscow for nearly a year over the deaths of two Russian journalists in Ukraine. Nadezhda Savchenko, who worked as a spotter for Ukrainian troops fighting separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine,...
 
 

Headlines May 20, 2015

News: Top secret X-37B space plane blasts off on fourth mission - One of the most mysterious craft ever to go into orbit blasted off on a top secret mission this morning.   Business: R&D budget request rises for U.S. Special Operations - The leadership of U.S. Special Operations Command said the force and its acquisitions –...
 

 

News Briefs May 20, 2015

North Korea ‘many years’ from developing submarine missile A top U.S. military officer says North Korea is many years away from being able to launch ballistic missiles from a submarine. But vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. James Winnefeld, said May 19 such missiles could eventually present a hard-to-detect danger to...
 
 

House panel approves $578.6 billion for defense spending

The House panel that decides defense spending approved a $578.6 billion blueprint May 19 that fully funds a 2.3 percent pay raise for military men and women, prevents the retirement of the A-10 aircraft that protects ground troops and funds the U.S. fight against terrorism. The spending bill, which mirrors the broad defense policy bill...
 
 

News Briefs May 18, 2015

Military leaders gather in Hawaii to talk amphibious skills Amphibious military capabilities are on the agenda as the U.S. Marine Corps and Navy host defense leaders from around the Pacific in Hawaii this week. The first-of-its kind meeting comes as territorial disputes over islands grow more heated in the region. U.S. treaty allies Japan and...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>