In the news...

May 10, 2013

News Briefs May 10, 2013

U.S. military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,083

As of May 7, 2013, at least 2,083 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count.

At least 1,725 military service members have died in Afghanistan as a result of hostile action, according to the military’s numbers.

Outside of Afghanistan, the department reports at least 119 more members of the U.S. military died in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Of those, 11 were the result of hostile action.

The AP count of total OEF casualties outside of Afghanistan is nine more than the department’s tally.

The Defense Department also counts three military civilian deaths.

Since the start of U.S. military operations in Afghanistan, 18,462 U.S. service members have been wounded in hostile action, according to the Defense Department. AP

Reid presses for bill on military sexual assault

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he wants legislation that would strip military officers of the ability to overturn convictions for sexual assault.

In a letter to the leaders of the Armed Services Committee, the Nevada Democrat said he wants the measure in the sweeping defense policy bill that Congress has passed every year for decades. He said it would ensure justice for victims of assault and prevent attacks in the future.

The Pentagon estimated in a report released Tuesday that up to 26,000 military members may were sexually assaulted last year but fewer than 3,400 reported the incident.

Lawmakers have been outraged after an Air Force officer overturned the conviction in a sexual assault case. AP

NATO probes charges of misconduct in Afghanistan

The U.S.-led military coalition in Afghanistan says it has launched an investigation into allegations of misconduct by NATO troops in the country’s south.

The coalition, known as the International Security Assistance Force, said May 8 that the probe pertains to an incident on April 28 during an encounter with insurgents in southern Afghanistan.

A statement from ISAF says four insurgents were killed in the incident. The NATO-led force did not disclose further details or elaborate on the allegations against coalition troops.

Afghan officials were not immediately available for comment.

The statement quoted American Gen. Joseph F. Dunford, the NATO commander in Afghanistan, as saying the alliance takes ìall allegations of misconduct by our personnel very seriouslyî and would ìfully investigate the incident and keep the Afghan government informed.î AP

New sub’s First sea trials completed

The newest Virginia-class submarine built at Newport News Shipbuilding is undergoing a series of sea trials before being delivered to the Navy later this month.

Huntington Ingalls Industries says the fast-attack submarine Minnesota successfully completed its first of three rounds of sea trials and evaluations this week.

The submarine submerged for the first time and operated at high speeds on the surface and under water.

Officials say all systems, components and compartments are being tested during the trials.

Construction of the Minnesota began in February 2008. It’s expected to be delivered to the Navy about 11 months ahead of its contracted delivery date. AP

Air China approves plan to buy 100 Airbus jets

Air China is planning to buy 100 Airbus jets to expand its fleet as it seeks to keep up with growing demand from Chinese travelers.

The state-owned airline said late May 7 that its board approved the plan to buy the plans as well as dispose of six Airbus A340 jets. It did not give any further details such as type of aircraft, cost or timeframe.

The announcement follows French President Francois Hollande’s visit to China last month, when officials inked a deal for China to buy 60 planes from France-based Airbus.

That deal covered the purchase of 42 A320s and 18 A330s.

In March, Air China placed an order for 31 Boeing aircraft worth $4.8 billion at list prices, though airlines typically get a discount. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines March 30, 2015

News: Pentagon chief mulls easing military enlistment standards - Defense Secretary Ash Carter is considering easing some military enlistment standards as part of a broader set of initiatives to better attract and keep quality service members and civilians across the Defense Department.   Business: Lockheed pays $2 million to settle government overbilling charges - Lockheed Martin Corpor...
 
 

News Briefs March 30, 2015

Landing mishap for military chopper; two aboard unhurt Two Navy officers were unhurt after their helicopter rolled on its side while landing in the Florida Panhandle. The mishap happened the night of March 27 at a Navy landing site in Pensacola, Fla. The Pensacola News Journal reports a pilot instructor and a student were able...
 
 

Headlines March 27, 2015

News General Dynamics withdraws as T-100 prime contractor General Dynamics Information Systems and Technology has withdrawn itself as the prime contractor on the T-100, the offering for the T-X trainer replacement program based on the Alenia Aermacchi M-346 design.   Business SpaceX’s fight with U.S. Air Force called a clash of perceptions Billionaire Elon Musk’s...
 

 

News Briefs March 27, 2015

Contractor extradited from Iraq pleads guilty in bribes case A man extradited from Iraq in a military contract bribery case has pleaded guilty to three charges in an agreement with federal prosecutors. U.S. District Judge Thomas Rose has scheduled sentencing for July 1 for Metin Atilan. His attorney, Nick Gounaris, says the two sides agreed...
 
 

Headlines March 25, 2015

News: Obama says more troops will stay in Afghanistan next year - President Obama March 24 formally abandoned his pledge to bring U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan down to 5,000 by the end of this year, saying the current force of about 10,000 will remain there into 2016.   Business: U.S. special ops to sole-source 2,000...
 
 

News Briefs March 25, 2015

Pentagon notifying U.S. troops named by alleged IS hackers The Pentagon said March 23 it is notifying 100 U.S. military members that their names and addresses were posted on the Internet by a group calling itself the Islamic State Hacking Division. The group said it was posting the information, including photos of the individuals, to...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>