Veterans

May 17, 2013

VA requiring employees to work overtime

More than 10,000 workers who handle disability claims at the Department of Veterans Affairs will be required to work at least 20 hours of overtime each month in an effort reduce a sizable backlog, the department announced May 15.

The overtime requirement will last through September and comes as many federal workers face furloughs because of mandatory budget cuts. The VA was exempt from those spending reductions.

“We need to surge our resources now to help those who have waited the longest and end the backlog,” said Allison Hickey, undersecretary for benefits at the VA.

The VA has come under fire from veterans groups and members of Congress for the number of claims pending longer than 125 days. About 570,000 disability claims fall into that category, nearly two-thirds of all claims pending.

The advocacy group Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America said the VA’s announcement was good to see, but it also emphasized that more was needed and renewed a call for President Barack Obama to get more directly involved.

“Bringing the backlog down to zero will not be achieved piecemeal, and unfortunately there is no sign that the administration will bring together VA, DOD and other agencies to develop a sustainable plan to address the structural problems that have created the backlog,” said Paul Rieckhoff, the group’s CEO and founder. “Instead of chipping away around the edges, veterans need a comprehensive strategy.”

Veterans receive disability compensation for injuries and illness incurred or aggravated during their active military service. The amount of the compensation is based on a rating assigned by the VA.

The VA announcement was the second in the past month designed to help veterans with longstanding disability claims. It recently announced that it would be expediting claims decisions for veterans who had been waiting more than a year. Veterans whose claims are granted would get compensation immediately. Veterans whose claims are denied will have a year to submit more information before the VA makes a final decision.

The department has made some progress in recent weeks on claiming pending longer than 125 days. The backlog for such claims is now down about 1,000 from where it was at this time last year.

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
Courtesy photograph

Veterans remember Gulf War 25 years later

Courtesy photograph Command Sgt. Maj. Robert G. Nichols, now retired, deployed to the Middle East with 1st Brigade in 1990. Nichols played a major role in the largest air assault in history that secured Forward Operating Base C...
 
 

Soldier missing from Vietnam War accounted for

The Department of Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced Aug. 21 that the remains of a serviceman, missing from the Vietnam War, have been identified and will be buried with full military honors. Army Maj. Dale W. Richardson of Mount Sterling, Ill., will be buried Aug. 29, in Mountain View, Ark. Richardson was assigned to 2nd...
 
 
cmsaf-funeral9

Ninth CMSAF laid to rest

Air Force photograph by SrA. Preston Webb Members of the Old Guard escort the ninth Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force James C. Binnicker to rest in Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Aug. 14, 2015. Binnicker passed away March 2...
 

 

VA announces new rules regarding service animals in VA facilities

Aug. 17, the Department of Veterans Affairs announced that it has revised its regulation regarding the presence of animals on VA property. The updated regulation will ensure VA practices remain consistent with applicable federal law. It will also assist individuals entering VA facilities in developing a clear and consistent understanding of the criteria governing facility...
 
 

World War II airman’s remains identified

The remains of a serviceman, missing since World War II, have been identified and are being returned to his family for burial with full military honors, said the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in a DOD news release issued Aug. 6. U.S. Army Air Forces 2nd Lt. Stephen V. Biezis of Chicago, will be buried Aug....
 
 

Remains of Pearl Harbor victims raised for identification

The military July 27 exhumed more caskets containing the unidentified remains of USS Oklahoma crew members killed in the 1941 bombing of Pearl Harbor. The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency disinterred five coffins from four grave sites at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu, where they have rested for decades. The work is...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>