Defense

July 31, 2013

No decisions yet on cutting furlough days, official says

Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

Despite media reports that say Defense Department civilians may face up to five fewer furlough days, “no decisions have been made at this time,” a Pentagon spokesman said July 30.

More than 640,000 civilian employees are being furloughed one day a week for 11 weeks, Navy Lt. Cmdr. Nate Christensen said. These unpaid days are in response to the Budget Control Act of 2011, which mandated significant cuts in the fiscal 2013 defense budget.

The furloughs began July 8. Most employees now have taken four unpaid days, or will have by the end of the week. Christensen said DOD leaders did not “take these actions lightly, or in a matter-of-fact fashion.”

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel reluctantly made the decision to furlough the civilian workforce, which will save around $2 billion this fiscal year. “He recognizes the significant hardship this places on DoD civilians and their families,” Christensen said.

The guiding principal behind the furlough “was the preservation of the readiness of the force to accomplish the Department’s mission to ensure our national security,” the commander said. The†DOD applied furloughs as consistently as possible across the department, he added.

When Hagel announced at a May 14 town hall meeting for civilian employees that officials had been able to reduce the originally expected number of furlough days from 22 to 11, he promised a continued effort to reduce the number further, but he emphasized that he could not promise such an outcome.

“I won’t promise that,” he said. “You deserve fair, honest, direct conversation about this, and I’m not going to be cute with you at all. This is where we are. We’ll continue to look at it, (and) we’ll continue to do everything we can.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 28, 2015

Business: Rafale, Mistral on agenda for Le Drian in Malaysia, India – French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is due to visit Malaysia Aug. 30, with talks expected to cover the Rafale fighter jet and Mistral helicopter carrier, website La Tribune reported. U.S. Army to choose new landing craft next year – In line with the Pentagon’s...
 
 

News Briefs August 28, 2015

Boeing plans to lay off some Southern California workers Boeing has announced that it plans to lay off employees at its Southern California-based satellite division. The Los Angeles Times reports that the aerospace giant said Aug. 25 that it will lay off as many as several hundred employees at the El Segundo factory. Boeing says...
 
 

Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident

Two special tactics airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26. Capt. Matthew D. Roland, 27, and SSgt. Forrest B. Sibley, 31, were at a vehicle checkpoint when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces uniforms opened fire on them. NATO service members...
 

 

Hurricane Hunters to fly Tropical Storm Erika

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters are operating out of Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., flying their state-of-the-art WC-130J Super Hercules into Tropical Storm Erika in support of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew four missions into the tropical storm from their deployed location at St. Croix in the...
 
 
LM-MUOS

U.S. Navy, Lockheed Martin ready to launch MUOS-4 Aug. 31

The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin are ready to launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System secure communications satellite, MUOS-4, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Aug. 31 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V...
 
 

Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence

The Pentagon’s inspector general is investigating an allegation that the military command overseeing the anti-Islamic State campaign distorted or altered intelligence assessments to exaggerate progress against the militant group, a defense official said Aug. 26. The official was not authorized to discuss the probe publicly and so spoke on condition of anonymity. The investigation was...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>