World

August 5, 2013

France to cut defense jobs, hold line on spending

Sylvie Corbet
Associated Press

France plans to hold the line on military spending while reducing 34,000 defense jobs over the next five years, a decision the defense minister said would still allow the country to prepare for the future.

President Francois Hollande’s Socialist government laid out its five-year military program at a Cabinet meeting Aug. 2 that would keep annual defense spending at 31.4 billion euros through 2016 – then rising to 32.5 billion euros by 2019. Key NATO ally France would remain Western Europe’s second-biggest spender on defense after Britain.

The plan goes before Parliament this fall. Socialists and their allies control both chambers.

Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told Europe-1 radio the plan avoids ìdrastic cuts. It does cut back on planned purchases of Dassault’s Rafale fighter jet to about 5 per year through 2019 – down from 11 previously.

The government is counting on export orders to sustain production. The Rafale, introduced in 2001, has never been exported. But Le Drian was optimistic about its future outside France, including in Qatar and India, which is in exclusive talks for the purchase of 126 Rafale jetfighters.

The minister said the five-year program allows France to prepare the French army’s adaptation to risks of the future and new threats for the coming six years.

However, there were some critics of the cuts in manpower.

To win the war always means to control territory – on the ground, in the air and at sea – and at some point … numbers count,î Gen. Vincent Desportes, former head of the Armed Forces Defense College, said on France-Info radio. ìTechnology only very partially replaces cuts.

He said he fears a diminished ability to intervene, as France did this year in Mali, leading an African force to chase out Islamist jihadists in the country’s north.

In my opinion, France won’t be able to address its international responsibilities and protect French interests, he said.

The government earmarked an average of 17.1 billion euros a year earmarked for equipment spending. For the first time, France plans to take delivery of 12 armed, long endurance drones – the U.S. system MQ-9 Reaper – and 14 shorter range tactical drones. Included in the budget is the purchase of 12 Airbus-made refueling planes, with the first two delivered in 2019.

During its intervention in Mali, France relied on U.S. drones and refueling planes.

By 2019, the French air force should also receive 15 A400M military transport planes from Airbus – the first one entering service this week – and one Barracuda attack submarine made by the French naval company DCNS.

For its intelligence services, France is looking to an electronics-intelligence satellite system known as CERES to be placed into orbit in 2020, and on two MUSIS satellites (Multinational Space-based Imaging System for Surveillance, Reconnaissance and Observation) from a European program that includes Italy Belgium, Germany, Greece, and Spain. That should be operational in 2017.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines October 29, 2014

News: Unmanned rocket explodes just six seconds after taking off - A NASA rocket due to be visible across the East Coast on its way to the International Space Station has blown up on the Launchpad. IG: Former chief of wounded warrior office broke law, DOD regs - The Defense Department inspector general has recommended “corrective action”...
 
 

News Briefs October 29, 2014

F-35C makes first landing at Virginia Beach Navy base The Navy says an operational F-35C joint strike fighter has landed at Naval Air Station Oceana for the first time. Naval Air Station Oceana is the Navy’s master jet base on the East Coast. The Navy says the plane came to the Virginia Beach base Oct....
 
 

Time to turn to American technology for space launch

For the first time since the Cold War, the United States has deployed armored reinforcements to Europe. To counter Russia’s aggression, several hundred troops and 20 tanks are now in the Baltic. Yet the U.S. military is still injecting millions into the Russian military industrial complex. In late August, the United Launch Alliance – the...
 

 
Air Force photograph by Joe Davila

Boeing, Air Force demonstrate Minuteman III readiness in flight test

Air Force photograph by Joe Davila Boeing supported the launch of an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., on Sept. 23, 2014. Boeing supported the U.S. Air Force’s succ...
 
 

Pentagon going to court for refusing to release Sikorsky data

PETALUMA, Calif. – The Pentagon is refusing to release any data on any prime contractors participating in the 25-year-old Comprehensive Subcontracting Plan Test Program. The American Small Business League launched a program in 2010 to expose the fraud and abuse against small businesses the CSPTP had allowed. As a test the ASBL requested the most...
 
 
Northrop Grumman photograph

Raytheon Griffin C flight tests demonstrate in-flight retargeting capability

Northrop Grumman photograph Northrop Grumman has received a contract from the U.S. Marine Corps for low-rate initial production of the AN/TPS-80 Ground/Air Task Oriented Radar (G/ATOR). G/ATOR is the first ground-based multi-mi...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>