Defense

August 12, 2013

Firms compete to expand Air Force museum in Ohio

A new $46 million aircraft and space gallery at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force is now scheduled to open in late 2015, with five companies competing to build it.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will select the winning bid for construction of the 224,000-square-foot building for the museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio. The building to house rare presidential and research and development aircraft, spacecraft and cargo planes is expected to promote tourism, according to museum Director John Hudson.

We know it will boost attendance,î said Hudson, a retired Air Force lieutenant general. ìWe are confident that is going to be a big attraction.

Museum officials did not release estimates on how much the expansion is expected to increase attendance, the Dayton Daily News reported. More than 1.2 million people visited the museum last year.

Hudson says the exact cost of the building won’t be known until the contract is awarded later this year.
The Air Force Museum Foundation has raised $38 million to pay for the expansion, and will continue raising money after construction begins, said Mona Vollmer, the foundation’s chief development officer.

Bids for the construction are due Oct. 2, with the work scheduled to begin next year.

The bottom line is we’re moving forward and we’re on track with our plans for the fourth building,î Hudson said.

The lowest priced bidder may not be the winning contractor, according to the newspaper.

The award will be made to the contractor whose proposal has been determined by the source selection evaluation board to have provided the best value to the government, the Corps of Engineers said in an email to the newspaper.

Four presidential planes and numerous research and development aircraft will be moved to the main complex from a hangar on Wright-Patterson that is temporarily off limits to museum visitors.

A tough fundraising environment and environmental studies forced officials to push back earlier plans to have the new building open in mid-2014. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 28, 2015

Business: Rafale, Mistral on agenda for Le Drian in Malaysia, India – French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is due to visit Malaysia Aug. 30, with talks expected to cover the Rafale fighter jet and Mistral helicopter carrier, website La Tribune reported. U.S. Army to choose new landing craft next year – In line with the Pentagon’s...
 
 

News Briefs August 28, 2015

Boeing plans to lay off some Southern California workers Boeing has announced that it plans to lay off employees at its Southern California-based satellite division. The Los Angeles Times reports that the aerospace giant said Aug. 25 that it will lay off as many as several hundred employees at the El Segundo factory. Boeing says...
 
 

Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident

Two special tactics airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26. Capt. Matthew D. Roland, 27, and SSgt. Forrest B. Sibley, 31, were at a vehicle checkpoint when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces uniforms opened fire on them. NATO service members...
 

 

Hurricane Hunters to fly Tropical Storm Erika

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters are operating out of Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., flying their state-of-the-art WC-130J Super Hercules into Tropical Storm Erika in support of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew four missions into the tropical storm from their deployed location at St. Croix in the...
 
 
LM-MUOS

U.S. Navy, Lockheed Martin ready to launch MUOS-4 Aug. 31

The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin are ready to launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System secure communications satellite, MUOS-4, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Aug. 31 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V...
 
 

Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence

The Pentagon’s inspector general is investigating an allegation that the military command overseeing the anti-Islamic State campaign distorted or altered intelligence assessments to exaggerate progress against the militant group, a defense official said Aug. 26. The official was not authorized to discuss the probe publicly and so spoke on condition of anonymity. The investigation was...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>