In the news...

August 26, 2013

News Briefs August 26, 2013

Commander of U.S. nuclear weapons unit removed

The Air Force has removed the commander of a nuclear weapons unit at a Montana base following a failed safety and security inspection this month that marked the second major misstep this year for one of the military’s most sensitive missions.

Military leaders say the decision to relieve Col. David Lynch of command at Malmstrom Air Force Base stems from a loss of confidence. They say it is not the result of the failed inspection first reported by The Associated Press on Aug. 13.

The 341st Missile Wing operates land-based nuclear missiles known as 450 Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missiles. The unit failed a review of its adherence to rules that ensure the safety, security and control of its nuclear weapons. Lynch’s removal was announced Friday.

This is the second time in recent months that an Air Force nuclear commander was replaced following a high-profile security problem.

Lt. Col. Randy Olson was relieved of duty at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, in June. The AP first reported an unprecedented sidelining of 17 launch officers there in May following an exceptionally poor review in the spring.

The 341st Security Forces Group, which Lynch took over in June 2012, has more than 1,200 personnel members and four squadrons. It provides security for the 341st Missile Wing, 15 launch control centers and 150 nuclear missile silos in a huge area of central Montana.

There is no timeline for selecting Lynch’s replacement, however, Col. John Wilcox, Air Force Global Strike Command Security Forces Division director, will take over on an interim basis. AP

Iran warns U.S. over military move against Syria

An Iranian commander is warning the United States over a possible military move against the Tehran-backed regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad.

The semi-official Fars news agency, which has close ties to Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guard, quotes Gen. Masoud Jazayeri as warning that ìtrespassing over the red line in Syria will have severe consequences for the White House.

Gen. Jazayeri did not provide details but said Washington is well aware of such red lines. He said the war in Syria is a product of a U.S. plot and regional reactionary countries, a common reference to Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Earlier Aug. 24, Washington said U.S. naval forces are moving closer to Syria as President Barack Obama considers a military response to Assad’s alleged use of chemical weapons. AP

Korean War veteran missing 63 years to get funeral

MCHENRY, Ill. – The family of a Korean War veteran declared missing in action 63 years ago will finally get to give him a funeral and burial with full military honors.

The (Crystal Lake) Northwest Herald reports Donald Victor MacLean was declared missing in action in 1950, about two months before his 18th birthday.

Donna Mitchell of McHenry is MacLean’s twin sister. She says she and another sister wrote numerous letters to the Army over the years asking what happened to their brother.

In 2012 new DNA testing identified MacLean as being among more than 800 unidentified Korean War veterans buried at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu.

His remains will be flown to Chicago this week. A burial is scheduled for Aug. 28 in the northwest suburb of Cary, Ill. AP

Ex-lawmaker gets DFC for Vietnam heroics

BATAVIA, N.Y. ó A former state lawmaker from western New York has been awarded a medal for helping save a wounded Special Forces soldier during a rescue operation in Vietnam 45 years ago.

The Daily News of Batavia reports that former Assemblyman Charles Nesbitt of Albion received the Distinguished Flying Cross during his Army helicopter unitís reunion over the weekend in Batavia.

Nesbitt piloted a helicopter that took part in the rescue of a commando whose chopper had been shot down during a secret mission in November 1968. His co-pilot had originally submitted Nesbitt for a higher medal after the war, but didnít learn until 1999 that no award had been issued.

The paperwork was resubmitted, and Nesbitt learned earlier this month that he had been approved for the Distinguished Flying Cross. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines January 23, 2015

News: Two Marines identified in deadly California helo crash - Two Marine Corps officers killed when their helicopter crashed during a training exercise in the Southern California desert were remembered Jan. 25 as talented pilots. Greek F-16 crashes in Spain during NATO exercise - Ten people died Jan. 26 after a Greek air force F-16 jet crashed...
 
 

News Briefs January 26, 2015

Navy wants to increase use of sonar-emitting buoys The U.S. Navy is seeking permits to expand sonar and other training exercises off the Pacific Coast, a proposal raising concerns from animal advocates who say that more sonar-emitting buoys would harm whales. The Navy now wants to deploy up to 720 sonobuoys about 12 miles off...
 
 
Air National Guard photograph by SSgt. Annie Edwards

ANG conducts air refueling training with NATO allies in Germany

Air National Guard photograph by SSgt. Annie Edwards A NATO E-3A AWACS aircraft approaches a Utah Air National Guard KC-135R Stratotanker for air refueling during a training flight over Germany on Jan. 13, 2015. Nearly 30 airme...
 

 
Air Force photograph by SrA. Armando A. Schwier-Morales

Ramstein Airmen train with French air force

Air Force photograph by SrA. Armando A. Schwier-Morales Two U.S. Air Force pilots and a French air force navigator discuss the route to the drop zone during a simulated low-level drop Jan. 21, 2015, at Orleans – Bricy Air...
 
 

Marines receive first F-35C Lightning II carrier variant

The first F-35C Lightning II, carrier variant, for the U.S. Marine Corps touched-down on the flight line at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., Jan. 13, from the Lockheed Martin plant in Fort Worth, Texas, to begin training in support of carrier-based operations. U.S. Marine Lt. Col. J.T. Ryan, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 501 detachment commander...
 
 

VA announces single regional framework under MyVA initiative

The Department of Veterans Affairs announced Jan. 26 that it is taking the first steps under the MyVA initiative to realign its many organizational maps into one map with five regions to better serve Veterans. The new regions under the MyVA alignment will allow VA to begin the process of integrating disparate organizational boundaries into...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>