In the news...

September 20, 2013

Military chiefs called to task on spending issues

Pauline Jelinek
Associated Press

The head of the House Armed Services Committee on Sept. 18 told the nation’s top military brass that their credibility is on the lineî if they don’t give greater details about how budget cuts will affect national security.

ìGentlemen, for two years you or your predecessors have come to this committee describing the consequences of sequestration in generalities and percentages,î California Republican Rep. Howard P. ìBuckî McKeon told the military service chiefs in opening a hearing on Capitol Hill.

ìToday I expect to hear – in very clear terms – what elements of that security you will no longer be in a position to provideî should the cuts continue, McKeon told the chiefs of staff of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. He was referring to the automatic spending cuts that kicked in March 1; they are projected to slash $52 billion from the defense budget for fiscal 2014, resulting from Congress’ failure to trim the federal deficit.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno was ready with some figures.

He testified the Army would have to shrink its active duty force by 26 percent, to 420,000 people. Odierno also said that readiness would be degraded to the point where 85 percent of the force by the end of the next budget year would not be prepared to deploy if a conflict popped up somewhere in the world.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh III said his service in the next budget year would have to cut flying hours by 15 percent, personnel by 25,000 or 4 percent, and aircraft by 550 or 9 percent.
Top civilian and uniformed defense officials tried for months to stop the cuts and have warned repeatedly of severe and unacceptable effects on the U.S. military if Congress doesn’t end them.

Rep. Adam Smith of Washington, ranking Democrat on the committee, said lawmakers were to blame.

ìYou all have extremely hard jobs, and I am afraid that we in Congress have not made them any easier by allowing sequestration to take effect,î Smith told the chiefs in a statement prepared for the hearing.

Without a doubt, the Department of Defense must become more efficient, Smith said. But sequestration will continue to force the department to make unacceptable cuts.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines May 29, 2015

News: U.S. Army chief opens door to embedding U.S. troops with Iraqi forces - After the fall of Ramadi, the Iraqi Security Forces need military and political leadership, Gen. Raymond Odierno says.   Business: No acquisition strategy yet for LCS frigates - Details of the new Littoral Combat Ship frigate program’s acquisition strategy are still being reviewed,...
 
 

Headlines May 27, 2015

News: U.S. Air Force certifies SpaceX for military launches - SpaceX has been certified for military space launch, the U.S. Air Force announced May 26. The long-awaited announcement is a game changer, with SpaceX becoming only the second provider cleared by the service to launch national security payloads into orbit.   Business: Northrop Grumman CEO issues...
 
 

Headlines May 22, 2015

News: Second Marine killed in Hawaii Osprey crash identified - Marine Corps officials have identified the second Marine to die as a result of the May 17 MV-22B Osprey crash as Lance Cpl. Matthew J. Determan of Maricopa, Ariz.   Business: Israel defense exports plunge to seven-year low - Israeli defense sales last year plunged to their...
 

 

News Briefs May 22, 2015

Ukrainian officer hit with third charge in Russia A third charge has been filed against a Ukrainian military officer who has been behind bars in Moscow for nearly a year over the deaths of two Russian journalists in Ukraine. Nadezhda Savchenko, who worked as a spotter for Ukrainian troops fighting separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine,...
 
 

Headlines May 20, 2015

News: Top secret X-37B space plane blasts off on fourth mission - One of the most mysterious craft ever to go into orbit blasted off on a top secret mission this morning.   Business: R&D budget request rises for U.S. Special Operations - The leadership of U.S. Special Operations Command said the force and its acquisitions –...
 
 

News Briefs May 20, 2015

North Korea ‘many years’ from developing submarine missile A top U.S. military officer says North Korea is many years away from being able to launch ballistic missiles from a submarine. But vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. James Winnefeld, said May 19 such missiles could eventually present a hard-to-detect danger to...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>