Defense

October 11, 2013

Reservists, National Guard members wait for training funds

The Army Reserve and the National Guard say they are on standby to see what happens in Congress, as they wait for the resumption of funding for inactive and active-duty training, or IDT and ADT.

The cancellation of the IDT and ADT training is affecting readiness and hurting the soldiers, said Capt. Eric Connor, deputy chief for public information with the Army Reserve Command.

“One of our pillars is resiliency,” Connor said. “We have to stay Army Strong in terms of just making sure we get through all of this because we are all in this together as a team.”

The exception to the cancellation includes soldiers who are supporting mobilization or combatant command exercises, he said.  About 700 soldiers have been affected by the cancellation of classes at developmental schools, Connor said.  Other areas impacted by the partial government shutdown, he said, are maintenance and the shipping and transfer of equipment.

While some Army Reserve personnel have been called back to duty, Connor said, they don’t have new equipment needed for maintenance.  ”They’re actually just working with what they have,” he said. “If they need new parts to make repairs, that’s not taking place.”

The government furlough “has caused a loss of some 23,500 man-hours, putting a backlog of about 3.5 days when it comes to maintenance,” Connor said.  Some soldiers are put in a difficult situation financially, he said.  ”Some of them live paycheck-to-paycheck, and a lot of them rely on the money from drills just to pay their light bills and put food on the table right now,” Connor said.

“We are working with our leaders and trying to see if in the future we can have them RST (rescheduled training) and have them make up these drills in order to get them back on the right track,” he said.

Drills are critical to the training and development of soldiers on individual skills or on equipment, physical training and weapons qualifications, he said.  ”Just last week we had some 75,000 soldiers who were impacted by their drills being canceled at a tune of $46.3 million,” he said. “Right now, if that continues for the rest of the month, that number could almost double to some $89 million.”

Reservists can contact Fort Family at www.ARFP.org, or call toll-free at 866-345-8248, for information and support during this time, Connor said.  Lt. Gen. Jeffrey W. Talley, the chief of the Army Reserve and the commanding general of the Army Reserve Command, said each member of the Army Reserve family is affected by the shutdown in different ways.

“We are in a historic period for our nation and it is terrible that such severe measures have been taken that so deeply affect our civilian workforce, soldiers, and our families,” Talley said.

“Please know that I have the highest respect for each of you, for your service, and your commitment to America’s Army,” he said. “I ask you to stay Army Strong and we will get through this together.”

The chief of the National Guard Bureau, Army Gen. Frank J. Grass, underscored the importance of the men and women of the Army National Guard and Air National Guard.

“Despite the unfortunate turmoil to your personal lives, please know that every person in uniform is privileged to serve alongside you and would never diminish your contributions,” Grass said.

“Unfortunately drill/IDT periods are not authorized during the shutdown unless they are supporting excepted activities,” he said. “For specific guidance on this and ADOS (active duty operational support) positions, please consult your chain of command.”

National Guard Bureau spokesman Army Maj. Jon Craig said the shutdown has stopped a wide range of activities that include administrative actions, annual medical requirements, operational training events and maintenance on vehicles.

“Soldiers aren’t going to the rifle range; pilots aren’t able to fly the helicopters or their jets,” he said. “Without training, the continuity of the training that normally would go on isn’t happening.”

Craig recommended members check the National Guard website, http://www.nationalguard.mil, or the Department of Defense’s website, http://www.defense.mil for the most up-to-date information on the shutdown.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines July 23, 2014

News: Israel’s Iron Dome defense in line for tripled U.S. spending - Israel’s iron Dome missile defense system may end up getting triple the U.S. funding that the Defense Department sought for it in March. Ukraine asked U.S. for systems to counter Russian missiles - A month before the United States says a Russian missile likely brought...
 
 

News Briefs July 23, 2014

U.S. military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,194 As of July 22, 2014, at least 2,194 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count. The AP count is three less than the Defense Department’s tally. At least...
 
 
Raytheon photograph

Raytheon completes key Air, Missile Defense Radar reviews

Raytheon photograph Partially-populated, full-sized Air and Missile Defense Radar array. Raytheon has completed two critical program reviews for the new Air and Missile Defense Radar, the U.S. Navy’s next generation integ...
 

 
Insitu photograph

Insitu demonstrates long endurance capabilities of Integrator unmanned aircraft

Insitu photograph Insitu’s Integrator unmanned aircraft recovers via SkyHook; the aircraft recently completed a 24-hour endurance flight. Insitu announced July 22 the successful 24-hour flight of its Integrator unmanned a...
 
 

NASA partners punctuate summer with spacecraft development advances

Spacecraft and rocket development is on pace this summer for NASA’s aerospace industry partners for the agency’s Commercial Crew Program as they progress through systems testing, review boards and quarterly sessions under their† Space Act Agreements with the agency. NASA engineers and specialists continue their review of the progress as the agency and partners move...
 
 

U.S. Navy selects Northrop Grumman for ship self-defense system

The U.S. Navy has awarded Northrop Grumman a $12 million task order for a full range of engineering services to continue modernizing the Ship Self-Defense System Mark 2. The contract has a potential value of $61 million over five years, if all options are exercised. SSDS MK2 is a combat system designed for anti-air defense...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>