In the news...

October 28, 2013

Not guilty pleas entered in Arizona Air Guard case

Three of the nearly two dozen current and former members of the Arizona Air National Guard who are accused in a $1.4 million scam to defraud the federal government have pleaded not guilty.

The first three defendants made their initial court appearances Oct. 25 in Pima County Superior Court before hearing officer Roger Duncan. The Arizona Daily Star reported that arraignments for the remaining defendants are set for Nov. 26.

Eight officers and 13 enlisted men and women, including the colonel and former commander of the 214 Reconnaissance Group, were indicted earlier this week on charges that included conspiracy, conducting an illegal enterprise, fraud, theft and money laundering.

The Arizona attorney general’s office is accusing the defendants of falsifying records and using fake home addresses to receive money meant for those traveling outside their home regions for duty assignments.

Between November 2007 and September 2010, authorities said some of the defendants took home salaries that were up to five times the amount they should have been receiving.

Some of the suspects defrauded the government of more than $100,000 each, Attorney General Tom Horne has said.

The indictment casts Gregg Davies, one of the defendants who appeared in court Friday, as the key player in the alleged scheme. He’s facing dozens of counts.

ìThere are two sides to any story, and we look forward to telling Colonel Davies’ side of the story,î his attorney, Flynn Carey, told KNXV-TV.

The indictment announced Oct. 21 comes after an 18-month investigation by state and federal agencies.
Only eight of those charged remain members of the National Guard.

Brig. Gen. Michael T. McGuire, adjutant general of the Arizona National Guard, said the allegations were being taken seriously, but he declined to discuss specifics of the case.

If convicted, some of the defendants could be sentenced to up to 12 1/2 years in prison. Authorities said the commander could face more serious charges over using his position of power to allegedly help facilitate the scam. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines November 21, 2014

News: Dempsey lays groundwork for larger 2016 defense budget - The top U.S. military official on Wednesday made the case for growing the base defense budget significantly over the $535 billion spending cap imposed by Congress for fiscal 2015.   Business: Boeing can bill $61 million that Pentagon withheld for months - The Pentagon withheld $60.5 million...
 
 

News Briefs November 21, 2014

Obama aide: U.S. should look at Ukraine military aid A senior aide of President Barack Obama says he believes the U.S. should consider giving Ukraine lethal, defensive military assistance to get Russia to think twice about its destabilizing behavior. Tony Blinken, the deputy national security adviser, cites serious violations by Russia of agreements not to...
 
 
navy-collission2

Two U.S. Navy ships collide in Gulf of Aden

MANAMA, Bahrain – Two U.S. Naval supply ships collided in the Gulf of Aden Nov. 20 at 5:26 a.m., GMT, with no injuries to crew members. USNS Amelia Earhart (T-AKE 6) and USNS Walter S. Diehl (T-AO 193) collided as they we...
 

 

Headlines November 17, 2014

News: Fight over A-10 re-opens Hill, Air Force divide - After a relatively quiet summer, the battle for the future of the A-10 Warthog exploded in the last two weeks, reopening deep fissures between Congress and the Air Force that seem to show the two sides at a total stalemate. Chances for sequester relief fade as...
 
 

News Briefs Nov, 17, 2014

Second stealthy destroyer starting to take shape The second of three stealthy destroyers under construction in Maine is starting to take shape. The Navy says it has completed the hoisting of the 1,000-ton composite deckhouse onto the 610-foot hull of the future USS Michael Monsoor. It took four cranes to complete the job Nov. 14....
 
 

Hagel: United States needs game-changing military innovation

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Wary of a more muscular Russia and China, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Nov. 15 the Pentagon will make a new push for fresh thinking about how the U.S. can keep and extend its military superiority despite tighter budgets and the wear and tear of 13 years of war. Hagel announced...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>