In the news...

October 28, 2013

Not guilty pleas entered in Arizona Air Guard case

Three of the nearly two dozen current and former members of the Arizona Air National Guard who are accused in a $1.4 million scam to defraud the federal government have pleaded not guilty.

The first three defendants made their initial court appearances Oct. 25 in Pima County Superior Court before hearing officer Roger Duncan. The Arizona Daily Star reported that arraignments for the remaining defendants are set for Nov. 26.

Eight officers and 13 enlisted men and women, including the colonel and former commander of the 214 Reconnaissance Group, were indicted earlier this week on charges that included conspiracy, conducting an illegal enterprise, fraud, theft and money laundering.

The Arizona attorney general’s office is accusing the defendants of falsifying records and using fake home addresses to receive money meant for those traveling outside their home regions for duty assignments.

Between November 2007 and September 2010, authorities said some of the defendants took home salaries that were up to five times the amount they should have been receiving.

Some of the suspects defrauded the government of more than $100,000 each, Attorney General Tom Horne has said.

The indictment casts Gregg Davies, one of the defendants who appeared in court Friday, as the key player in the alleged scheme. He’s facing dozens of counts.

ìThere are two sides to any story, and we look forward to telling Colonel Davies’ side of the story,î his attorney, Flynn Carey, told KNXV-TV.

The indictment announced Oct. 21 comes after an 18-month investigation by state and federal agencies.
Only eight of those charged remain members of the National Guard.

Brig. Gen. Michael T. McGuire, adjutant general of the Arizona National Guard, said the allegations were being taken seriously, but he declined to discuss specifics of the case.

If convicted, some of the defendants could be sentenced to up to 12 1/2 years in prison. Authorities said the commander could face more serious charges over using his position of power to allegedly help facilitate the scam. AP




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines January 30, 2015

News: Taliban claims responsibility for attack on Americans at military base near airport - The Taliban claimed responsibility Jan. 30 for a shooting incident at a military base attached to Kabul’s international airport yesterday that killed three American civilian contractors and an Afghan national, saying the attacker had infiltrated the ranks of the security forces. Commission...
 
 

News Briefs January 30, 2015

Military judge weighs restrictions on Gitmo female guards A military judge is deciding whether to continue restricting the use of female guards at Guantanamo. Navy Capt. J. Kirk Waits heard closing arguments Jan. 29 at the base in Cuba during a pretrial hearing for Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi. Waits didn’t say when he will rule. Hadi...
 
 
Air Force photograph by 1st Lt. Jake Bailey

Cope South experts exchange knowledge, techniques

Air Force photograph by 1st Lt. Jake Bailey TSgt. Sam Bishop, center left, and SSgt. Jeffrey Stephens discuss propeller maintenance with Bangladesh air force maintainers, from the 101st Special Flying Unit, during exercise Cope...
 

 

Air Force names 2-star to lead F-35 Integration Office

With the initial operating capability date of the F-35 Lightning II quickly approaching, the Air Force appointed Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Harrigian as the director of a larger Air Force F-35 Integration Office, Feb. 1. In addition to gaining new leadership, the F-35 Integration Office will also grow from a staff of four to 12 and...
 
 
boeing-ana2

Boeing announces ANA’s commitment to more jetliners

Airline continues fleet modernization with Boeing airplanes Boeing and All Nippon Airways announced Jan. 30 the airline’s intent to purchase three 787-10 Dreamliners to add additional flexibility to the airline’s 787 fleet....
 
 
Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash

Air Force risks becoming too small to succeed under sequestration

Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee Jan. 28, 2015, in Washington, D.C., as Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Joesph F. Dunf...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>