Defense

March 7, 2014

Navy budget request involved tough choices, official says

The Navy Department’s fiscal year 2015 budget request reflects tough, but responsible choices, a senior Navy official said at a Pentagon news conference March 4. 

The budget request is part of the $495.6 billion defense budget proposal President Barack Obama submitted to Congress.

Rear Adm. William Lescher, deputy assistant secretary of the Navy for budget, briefed reporters about the Navy and Marine Corps portion of the budget request.

“Our budget comes during a period of increased fiscal austerity and uncertainty, and at a time when the combatant commanders’ demand for naval forces continues at very high levels,” Lescher said. “There were tough choices made in developing this budget, but it provides the resources that allow us to preserve our warfighting advantage in a thoughtful, responsible way.”

This year’s budget submission prioritizes funding for forward presence and continues to make critical investments in people and future capabilities, the admiral said.

The proposed budget sustains presence by providing money for ship steaming, flight hours, maintenance and base operations. It funds amphibious ready group and carrier strike group deployments, supports the three ballistic missile defense-capable destroyers joining the USS Donald Cook in Rota, Spain, in fiscal 2015, and provides continued support for the rebalance to the Pacific, with $46.8 billion overall in operations and maintenance.

Additional investments are proposed for retaining sailors through the Quality of Service initiative. The Navy seeks to reduce manning gaps at sea and improve the sea-to-shore flow of personnel.

The Navy has also requested $38.4 billion for ship, aircraft, weapons and other procurement for programs, including the littoral combat ship, P-8A Poseidon aircraft, Virginia-class submarines and the Mk-48 heavy weight torpedo.

Research and development priorities include the Ohio-class replacement submarine, next generation jammer and Unmanned Carrier Launched Airborne Surveillance and Strike, as well as developing electromagnetic spectrum and cyber capabilities.

The Navy’s fiscal 2015 budget request is a $15 billion decrease from the level forecast in last year’s budget submission and is a $38 billion reduction over the Future Year Defense Plan from the fiscal 2014 presidential budget.

“We’re confident this budget makes the right choices where needed,” Lescher said. “Within our fiscal limitations, this is the budget to continue to ensure near- and long-term wholeness, and to remain the world’s most capable Navy.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines August 28, 2015

Business: Rafale, Mistral on agenda for Le Drian in Malaysia, India – French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian is due to visit Malaysia Aug. 30, with talks expected to cover the Rafale fighter jet and Mistral helicopter carrier, website La Tribune reported. U.S. Army to choose new landing craft next year – In line with the Pentagon’s...
 
 

News Briefs August 28, 2015

Boeing plans to lay off some Southern California workers Boeing has announced that it plans to lay off employees at its Southern California-based satellite division. The Los Angeles Times reports that the aerospace giant said Aug. 25 that it will lay off as many as several hundred employees at the El Segundo factory. Boeing says...
 
 

Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident

Two special tactics airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26. Capt. Matthew D. Roland, 27, and SSgt. Forrest B. Sibley, 31, were at a vehicle checkpoint when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces uniforms opened fire on them. NATO service members...
 

 

Hurricane Hunters to fly Tropical Storm Erika

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters are operating out of Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., flying their state-of-the-art WC-130J Super Hercules into Tropical Storm Erika in support of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew four missions into the tropical storm from their deployed location at St. Croix in the...
 
 
LM-MUOS

U.S. Navy, Lockheed Martin ready to launch MUOS-4 Aug. 31

The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin are ready to launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System secure communications satellite, MUOS-4, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Aug. 31 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V...
 
 

Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence

The Pentagon’s inspector general is investigating an allegation that the military command overseeing the anti-Islamic State campaign distorted or altered intelligence assessments to exaggerate progress against the militant group, a defense official said Aug. 26. The official was not authorized to discuss the probe publicly and so spoke on condition of anonymity. The investigation was...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>