Approximately 150 soldiers from the 173rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne) in Vicenza, Italy, arrived in Latvia April 24, to conduct small unit and leader training with members of the Latvian Army.
This exercise is the second in a series of expanded U.S. land force training activities in the region that are scheduled to take place for the next few months and beyond. This action comes at the request of the host nations in the region and further demonstrates U.S. commitment to NATO.
The training, not previously scheduled, takes place as the United States continues to demonstrate solidarity with its NATO allies by increased land force presence in Poland and the Baltic States, an enhanced exercise schedule, and increased security cooperation measures with allies in the region.
Some of the other land forces exercises planned across Europe include:
• Exercise Rochambeau, scheduled to take place in France in May
• Exercise Combined Resolve II, scheduled to take place in Germany in May
• Exercise Saber Strike, scheduled to take place in Lithuania and Latvia in June
• Exercise Immediate Response, scheduled to take place in Slovenia in August
• Exercise Saber Junction 14, scheduled to take place in Germany in August
• Exercise Cooperative Resolve, scheduled to take place in Turkey in September