0
comments
In the news...

News Briefs April 3, 2013

Posted April 3, 2013 by

At least 2,063 U.S. military deaths in Afghanistan since 2001 As of April 2, 2013, at least 2,063 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count. At least 1,713 military service members have died in Afghanistan…

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

Headlines May 6, 2013

Posted May 6, 2013 by

News Benghazi witness: US military response could have ‘scared’ off attackers, prevented mortar strike The U.S. military could have prevented one wave of the deadly attack on American personnel in Benghazi if fighter jets had been promptly deployed, a top diplomatic official who was in Benghazi during the Sept. 11 assault told congressional investigators.  …

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

News Briefs June 10, 2013

Posted June 10, 2013 by

Camp Pendleton unveils tribute to Afghanistan dead A memorial honoring 89 Marines and Navy medical corspmen killed in Afghanistan has been unveiled in Southern California. Friends, family and comrades were on hand June 6 at the Camp Pendleton Marine base for the dedication of a granite slab. It bears the names of 5th Marine Regiment…

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

News Briefs July 15, 2013

Posted July 15, 2013 by

First Air Force One plane decaying in Arizona field The first plane to be designated as Air Force One now sits in a southern Arizona field that’s part of Marana Regional Airport. The aircraft that once spirited President Dwight D. Eisenhower on cross-country voyages is nearly forgotten on a 10-acre parcel, decaying under the relentless…

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

Headlines August 12, 2013

Posted August 12, 2013 by

News Air Force identifies airman killed in helicopter crash The Air Force has identified an airman killed in a helicopter crash last week as TSgt. Mark A Smith. Smith, of the 33rd Rescue Squadron, was killed when his HH-60G Pave Hawk crashed Aug. 5 in Okinawa, according to a news release from the 18th Wing….

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

Headlines September 13, 2013

Posted September 13, 2013 by

News: Four destroyers, aircraft carrier to remain near Syria - The Navy will keep four destroyers in the eastern Mediterranean and an aircraft carrier strike group in the Red Sea to maintain a “strong military posture” for a potential strike on Syria, the Pentagon said Sept. 12. “We have no plans at this time to change…

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

Headlines October 11, 2013

Posted October 11, 2013 by

News Congress’ research service says Pentagon can pay death benefits during shutdown The non-partisan Congressional Research Service said Oct. 10 that a special military play bill signed by President Obama on Sept. 30 can be used to pay the death gratuity to families of fallen heroes. The Pentagon has argued otherwise. It has refused to…

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

News Briefs November 18, 2013

Posted November 18, 2013 by

Ex-Fort Bragg pilot sentenced to 3 years in prison A former Fort Bragg, N.C., helicopter pilot has been sentenced to three years in prison for stealing $1.3 million in military equipment during overseas deployments. U.S. Attorney Thomas G. Walker says 41-year-old Kurt Allen Bennett was sentenced Nov. 15 in Raleigh, N.C. Bennett pleaded guilty in…

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

NASA postpones Orbital launch, sets spacewalks to repair faulty station pump module

Posted December 18, 2013 by

NASA managers are postponing the upcoming Orbital Sciences commercial cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station to proceed with a series of spacewalks to replace a faulty pump module on the space station. Orbital Sciences’ Cygnus spacecraft, atop its Antares rocket, now will launch no earlier than January. The postponement of the Antares launch…

Full Story »

0
comments
In the news...

News Brief January 24, 2014

Posted January 24, 2014 by

U.S. commander predicts more suicide attacks The second-ranking U.S. military commander in Afghanistan is predicting more violence like the assault last week on a Kabul restaurant that was the deadliest single attack against foreign civilians in the nearly 13-year war. Speaking to reporters at the Pentagon via video-teleconference from his headquarters in Kabul, Army Lt….

Full Story »


All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.