It’s been four months since the Single Soldier Housing Office opened its doors at Fort Irwin.Ã‚Â Previously, barracks were managed by a variety of means that made it less effective and cost efficient to maintain a quality of living that our single Soldiers deserve.Ã‚Â To ensure we maintain quality housing, the SSHO was established with the support of Soldiers.Ã‚Â Between Oct. 6 and Oct. 30, 2011, the Soldiers trained in areas of facility inspections, room and furnishings standards, the online in/out processing computer application “Enterprise Military Housing”, scheduling of inspections and bar coding of furnishings, and physical security of barracks policies for keys. The SSHO opened its doors Nov. 7, 2011.Ã‚Â Today the new SSHO is located in Bldg. 312 and is open continuously from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Since November the SSHO has made the following improvements: Ã‚Â
- Served1112 walk in customers.
- Received and distributed 950 new mattresses Improved energy efficiencies by providing room sensors for lights and new lower wattage ballasts in ceiling lights)
- Conducted 502 assignments and 559 terminations.
- Cleared out Bldg 226 2nd and 3rd floor to allow AG replacement temporary barracks spaces while the Reception Center was completed.
- Provided the room furnishings in the AG replacement 109 barracks complex.
- Relocated DENTAC and MEDDAC Soldiers to Bldgs 249 and 250.
- Increased the occupancy in the Hamby barracks from 40 percent to 95 percent
- Processed approximately 830 work orders
- Established lock out procedures with units. This saves money by not having to staff the SSHO 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Added 52″ inch screen TV, furniture packages and pool tables to day rooms
- Created a classroom in Bldg 265 with 52″ screen TV and HDMI/USB hookups for NCOs to use for instruction training.
- Developing a plan that would allow all Soldiers to live in a 1+1 room.
- The SSHO utilizes a KEYTRAK control system for securing the barracks keys. This is a fingerprint ID access only system. If you’re curious please drop by for a tour.
The Single Soldier Housing Office looks forward to the future taking care of our Single Soldiers.
Please visit them on face book and tell them how they are doing or what you need via the Interactive Customer Evaluation or” ICE”.
Challen “Jay” Kelker is the Single Soldier Housing chief.Ã‚Â Sgt. 1st Class James Elliot is the SSHO manager. The SSHO can be contacted at 380-7789 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.