On Jan. 22 the Fort Irwin Tax Center officially opened for business in building 288 on Barstow Road (across from the Military Police Station). The staff will assist in tax preparation for eligible members of the Fort Irwin community, to include Active Duty servicemembers, Reservists on active duty orders, National Guardsmen on Title 10 status, military retirees, and dependents of all of the above.
Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Service is provided on a walk-in basis or by appointment only on Saturday.
The Fort Irwin Tax Center operates under the supervision of the Legal Assistance Office in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, and all tax preparers are trained and certified under the VITA program. Due to certain criteria under this program, some individuals may be ineligible to have their returns prepared by the VITA-trained staff; this determination will be made during an initial pre-screening.
In accordance with Army regulation, assistance is not available for individuals who receive income from personal business or commercial enterprise; however, there is an exception to this policy for Family Child Care providers enrolled under the Installation Family Child Care Plan.
Servicemembers should utilize their myPay account (available at http://mypay.dfas.mil) for required documents and forms, to include 2012 W-2 forms and banking information such as their bank’s routing number.
Bring the following required documents for preparation and electronic filing of your 2012 income tax return:
- Military identification (whether in uniform or not)
- Social Security cards for yourself, your spouse, and all dependents
- Employee identification number for day care providers, etc.
- Wage and earning statements (e.g. W-2, WG, 1099-R)
- Interest and dividends statements (forms 1099)
- Last year’s (2011) tax return
- Bank routing numbers/account numbers for direct deposit of refund
- Power of attorney (if signing on behalf of spouse)
- Records of alimony payments/receipts, charitable contribution, and child care receipts
- Documents substantiating any tax credits/deductions
For more information visit www.irs.gov or contact the Fort Irwin Tax Center at 380-3604.