This year’s Thunder & Lightning Over Arizona Air Show will feature a realistic demonstration of the aircraft and techniques used in a CSAR exercise. It’s gonna be loud and explosive! Highlights from this exciting demonstration include:
• The demonstration begins with two pararescuemen jumping from a HC-130J Combat King to simulate downed airmen.
• A four-ship formation of A-10 Thunderbolts will roll in and take control of communications, which will be broadcast to the crowd.
• The lead A-10 will call in a two-ship of HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters to pick-up the downed airmen.
• The HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters and a HC-130J will fly in formation to perform in-air refueling while the A-10s fly a protection.
• The A-10s will perform two strafing runs with pyrotechnics.
• The HH-60 Pave Hawk Helicopters will fast-rope two PJs to stabilize and protect the downed airmen.
• The A-10s will protect the helicopter, PJs and downed airmen with bomb runs using pyrotechnics.
• The HH-60 Pave Hawk will hoist the PJs and downed airmen into the helicopter and all aircraft will depart.