Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced May 10 the 2016 recipients of the Commander in Chief’s Annual Award for Installation Excellence.
This year’s award recipients are:
* U.S. Army Garrison Fort Campbell, Ky., commander: Army Col. James R. Salome;
* Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, Calif., commander: Marine Corps Col. Sekou S. Karega;
* Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash., commander: Navy Capt. Michael K. Nortier;
* Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, commander: Air Force Col. Joseph D. McFall; and
* Defense Supply Center Richmond, Va., commander: Air Force Brig. Gen. Allan E. Day.
The Commander in Chief’s Annual Award for Installation Excellence recognizes the outstanding and innovative efforts of the people who operate and maintain U.S. military installations, Pentagon officials said. The five recipients of this highly competitive presidential award were selected for their exemplary support of Defense Department missions, they added.
“Excellent installations enable better mission performance and enhance the quality of life for military men and women and their families,” officials said in a statement announcing this year’s recipients. “Each winning installation succeeded in providing excellent working, housing and recreational conditions.”
Each winning installation will receive a commemorative trophy and flag and a congratulatory letter from the president, officials said.