Requirements, procedures for base access

Airman 1st Class Alonzo Pittman, 99th Security Forces Squadron visitor center control technician, assists visitors with getting base passes at the Visitor Center at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., Jan. 19. The Visitor Center is located at the main gate and is open 24/7.

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev.— Trying to receive access to the base can seem like a daunting task. There are certain procedures and rules that a sponsor and visitor should be aware of prior to arriving at one of the installation’s gates for access that can make the process go as smoothly as possible.
“Military members who want to sponsor a visitor on to the installation have to stop by the Visitor Center with their visitor in person so that they can receive a visitor’s pass to the base,” said Tech Sgt. Christopher Spicher, 99th Security Forces Squadron NCO in charge of Pass and ID. “The visitor must go through a background check and get their photo taken before the pass is issued.
“If you have a foreign visitor looking to get on base then they have to be pre-cleared 3 days in advance before arriving to base and being issued a pass.”
Sponsors may request a pass to the installation for short-term guests. The Visitor Center, located at the main gate, will issue a pass for up to 72 hours for general visitors and a one-time pass for up to 30 days for family members staying with a sponsor in base housing.
The sponsor must present and show their military-issued identification (Common Access Card or Military ID) and the visitor must show their government issued photo identification (state driver’s license or passport).
Also, the visitor must show their photo ID and the pass upon each entry to the base and on demand while on the installation.
All guests must have a sponsor to gain access to the base. Contractors, civilian retiree card holders, transportation worker identification credential holders, DOD privilege card holders, Veterans Identification Card holders, foreign national affiliates with a DOD common access card, Local Defense Biometric Identification System pass and card holders are not authorized to sponsor visitors. Limited exceptions are made for privatized housing residents.
For contractors, the process of getting base access is a little more extensive.
“Once awarded a contract, a representative from the Army Corps of Engineers or the 99th Contracting Squadron request a list of employees needed to complete that job,” said Spicher. “When that list is approved it is sent to Pass and ID where background checks are performed on each member on that list.
“After the background check is completed and passed, the list is then forwarded to the Visitor Center where the contractor can pick up their pass. The process for contractors getting approved for base access can take up to, but not exceed 3 days.”
Civilians who are interested in gaining access to the base but don’t have a sponsor are only allowed on the installation if there is a special event that is open to the public but will only have access to the approved areas.
When one is looking to gain base access, having all proper paperwork filled out correctly can help expedite the process.
“The big thing is that if you are wanting a pass is to call ahead of time and find out what the required forms are,” said Master Sgt. Yvonne Groves, 99th Security Forces Squadron NCO in charge of installation security. “It is unfortunate if you come to the gate and try to get a pass for somebody and they don’t have any type of photo ID, because we cannot give them a pass.”
When it comes to base access, safety is always of utmost importance and there are different factors that one should be aware of that can alter who is allowed on base.
“If we transition into a higher FPCON level we would stop a lot of the visitors from being allowed to come on to the base,” said Groves. “Nobody would have unescorted access to the base that isn’t a DoD ID card holder and we would limit who is coming on and off the base.”
For any additional questions please contact the Visitor Center at 702-652-3216. Customer Service hours for visitors is 24/7. For contractors or anybody else that has been pre-vetted through the Pass and ID Office, the customer service hours are Monday through Sunday 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Visitor Center.
Customer Service hours for Pass and ID are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., except on Wednesday the hours are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and can be contacted at 702-652-8681 or reached by email at For all CAC or DEERS cards questions, please contact the ID Cards and DEERS office at 702-652-6844.


More Stories From This Author